Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weird and wonderful things sighted on I-84

My Mum tells me (quite frequently) that when you get old you spend a lot of time reminiscing. Well, I must be getting old, because ever since the 50th anniversary reunion of my Alma Mater a couple of years ago, I seem to be stuck in nostalgia mode.

You see, Church College of New Zealand was an unusual experience, being a church-sponsored, co-ed boarding school. Those of us who thrived at CCNZ forged some formidable bonds. Not only did most of the students live together, but we had our faith in common and our social lives also revolved around school and church activities. In the last two years, I've been in contact with friends whom I had not seen in about 35 years. It has been exhilarating and sometimes sad, seeing the direction that life takes people. Or people take their lives.

One of those friends is the gregarious Mark, who sat next to me in three of my five classes in Seventh Form. He lives with his wife and two little kids in an Arab state and was planning a U.S. trip. We have several mutual friends in Vernal, UT, and decided to meet up and drive together to Vernal for our very own mini-reunion. Mark and his wife, Grace, spent a day at our house, recovering from jet lag, and early Saturday morning we hit the road. We stopped for gas and breakfast at a truck stop in Troutdale and saw some interesting sights. You might want to click on the first photo to see a clearer picture.
This old renegade wasn't shy with his opinions and was proud to have his picture taken! You can put it anywhere you want, was his reply when I asked him if I could put it on my blog. I love people who are undaunted in their beliefs.
Especially when they agree with me!
Then, in the same parking lot, was this strange view.
A baby's car seat, perched on top of a van, with no perceptible restraint system.
I'm still wondering about that one! It reminds me of when Jeff would tire of a baby's crying (usually Jon) and roll his window all the way down so that the gust of air rendered him or her speechless. What a guy!
Then, of course, the obligatory sojourn at Multnomah Falls, an Oregon icon...
...which partly explains our almost-midnight arrival in Vernal.
That, and Mark's unfortunate inclination for driving at the speed limit.
By the time we arrived, Grace was grumpy, Mark was exhausted, and I had just about eroded his good nature with my chatty efforts at keeping him awake and my repeated offers to drive.
Luckily, our hosts were still awake and happy to see us.

More juicy bits to follow.


Warning to my kids: you may not want to read tomorrow's post.
Just remember, your Mom was once young too.

3 comments:

  1. I am agog to read the next installment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to shake the hand of that gloriously opinionated trucker and treat him to an RC Cola & a Moon Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love and agree with the trucker's commentary on his truck. As for the car seat on the roof of the van, well, I guess that's one way to insure a quite trip:)

    ReplyDelete