Thursday, August 26, 2010

Are you sick of my grandkids yet?

Yesterday was a scorcher, but we decided to try to play outside anyway. The north side of the house was the only place that was bearable. I missed the perfect "kids at play" shot by milliseconds....

...because Josh decided to throw a pout.
 He didn't want his photo taken.

Haha, I won!

Daniel found Charlie's skateboard and rode it up and down the path.
And sat on it, looking cool.

We ventured down to the bottom of the driveway to water my roadside flowerbeds. As soon as we were done we dashed back into the house.

I spent most of the day feeding the little blighters.
My grandchildren are not (how can I put this nicely?) tidy eaters.
And they are always hungry.
When Bethany got here in the afternoon, she said Your kitchen floor looks just like mine.
Er, yes. There's a reason for that!
This lovely splotch under the bar stools...

...is Dan-o-nino yogurt.
Peach flavour, if you must know.
Natalie said Nana, look how much is on my spoon!
Plop!
The darling girl has not yet perfected the art of eating over the plate.

Daniel slept in Charlie's room. Before he went to sleep, he had to have a fan blowing on him, country music on the clock/radio, and a night light. In the morning, all four kids were sitting on the bed, playing Simpsons' Uno and singing along to country music. The room was a mess, with clothes and backpacks and blankets all over the floor. I chuckled to myself as I went about my business.
Later, Daniel came out and told me that he had tidied the room for Charlie.
My heart melted.
These kids love their Charlie.

Later, as part of the never-ending culinary fiesta, they all wanted popsicles.
The only kind in the freezer were not premium models, but all except Josh decided they would suffice.
Josh decided to pout.
Fine, I said, I don't care if you don't want a popsicle.
He relented quickly, but it was too late.
You'll have to do something to help me if you want one now, was my edict.
So he cleaned his teeth.
Nope, not good enough.
He picked up the Legos.
And got his popsicle.
Daniel loves his Nana's bread, spread with butter and peanut butter.
And cut carefully into four pieces.
And then they went home.

5 comments:

  1. What a day! I love the shot you got of Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammas LOVE the grandkids--no matter the mess or pouting. Grandpas, however, do not have quite the tolerance level, but love the grandkids too. I think it is fantastic that you are close and have some to have fun with. I know I have enjoyed mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It strikes me that you are a very brave woman indeed ... you remind me of my own mother when my kids were little. She was indefatigable and endlessly creative and pulled no punches and allowed a minimum of funny business. It was wonderful to leave them with her for an afternoon or a few days and know they'd be lovingly looked after but not mollycoddled, and that they'd be encouraged to just be kids and have many new and interesting experiences ... and there would be LOADS of pictures!

    Her photo albums line many shelves at her house to this day and my kids love to pick one up and flip through reliving the memories of time spent at Gramma's house.

    I love the way you "work" Josh. It's perfect and he clearly gets what it's all about. Good for you.

    When I'm at my daughter's house I cringe sometimes at the way she lets her kids run over her, but I guess we all did it to some extent. I love to get them on my turf -- especially without the parrots -- and "mother" the kids even better than I did my own on account of I'm so much older and wiser now! Plus I know their parents are coming back shortly, so it gives me added hope which translates into added patience if not always a surplus of energy.

    I LOVE YOUR YARD! And nobody could ever be sick of your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last pic of Daniel looks like Charlie!!!

    ReplyDelete