Monday, May 25, 2015

In memorium

The day before I left New Zealand back in April, Jacquie took me to Hamilton Cemetery to visit Dad's grave. The headstone is a simple affair, but much thought and love was put into choosing it.


We walked around for a while and looked for graves of people we knew. It occurred to me that we in America don't have much imagination when it comes to headstones. It also made me wish we had gotten a flashier headstone for Dad.
Feast your eyes on these. It kind of took my whole funeral/gravestone planning to a whole new level. Some of these are of friends and neighbours, some are from strangers, and it is but a small sample of the fantastic gravestones in the cemetery. Click on the photos for a larger view.

This one has a picture of a house on it. Maybe it was the truck that was important.


I love this. And I would like to know the story behind the quote at the bottom.


LDS temple graphics abounded. Those Mormons sure know how to create a monument.


And this. Is. Awesome.


Old friends.


A giant paua shell. 


Tractor!


I want this one. Dolphins.


Some died young.


\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////

It being Memorial Day here in the US, Jeff and I usually attend services in the morning. Jeff was heading out to California for an audit so we missed the tradition this morning. Luckily, Bethany is a dutiful daughter and she carries on her own little tradition of putting a rose on each of her local great-grandfathers' graves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment