Sunday, August 2, 2009

In the Company of Cheerful Ladies


I am loving this series. Every now and then I crack up from the quirky wisdom that is uttered by the various characters. And sometimes, I am just plain awed by the wisdom.
Take these sentences from the end of this book, the sixth in the series:
She loved this country, which was a good place, and she loved those with whom she lived and worked. She had so much love to give - she had always felt that - and now there was someone to whom she could give this love, and that, she knew, was good; for that is what redeems us, that is what makes our pain and sorrow bearable - this giving of love to others, this sharing of the heart.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you're really ripping through those! Lately I can't seem to read more than a few pages of any book without falling asleep! I love the wisdom in them too. Here's a quote I liked from the 8th book, but it doesn't spoil anything from the story. I had typed it up for something else so I'll just copy it here.

    "The world, Mma Ramotswe believed, was composed of big things and small things. The big things were written large, and one could not but be aware of them--wars, oppression, the familiar theft by the rich and the strong of those simple things that the poor needed, those scraps which would make their life more bearable; this happened, and could make even the reading of a newspaper an exercise in sorrow. There were all those unkindnesses, palpable, daily, so easily avoidable; but one could not think just of those, thought Mma Ramotswe, or one would spend one's time in tears--and the unkindnesses would continue. So the small things came into their own: small acts of helping others, if one could; small ways of making one's own life better: acts of love, acts of tea, acts of laughter. Clever people might laugh at such simplicity, but, she asked herself, what was their own solution?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Kathy. I've read five of the books since Thursday, I think. The library was missing the fifth one where Precious gets married, so I'll have to catch it later. I think I will have to buy them at a used book store, then I can quote from them constantly and drive my friends and readers crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could get yourself a Kindle and purchase them in soft copy. I'm still saving up for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like the tactile quality of a book. I'm not sure I'll ever want to read a book on a screen. But you go for it son.

    ReplyDelete