Sunday, August 16, 2009

Leonard who?



Somehow, I made it through the 60' and 70's without any awareness of Leonard Cohen.
Then, about two years ago, I read one of Neo-Neocon's posts on the man.
After a few viewings on YouTube, I was an avid fan.
He is a bit of an acquired taste.
Songwriter and singer extraordinaire.
He is now in his 70's and still going strong.
He is on tour this year, due to some setbacks in his finances, and they say he puts on an unparalleled concert.
I think I prefer the deep, gravelly bass of his later years than the more conventional sound of his younger voice. Think "Neil Diamond on steroids."
If you are in a romantic mood (or want to be in one) check out this video.

Unfortunately, embedding has been disabled on most of his songs.

Leonard also wrote "Hallelujah," one of the greatest songs of all time. In my opinion. Although I prefer the Jeff Buckley version. Which makes me feel kind of disloyal.

Leonard.
He's My Man.

2 comments:

  1. ICK!!! Mom! It sounds like he's struggling to keep the tune of his own song while having breathing problems! Michael Buble redid "I'm your man" and it's a much better version. Sorry, I have to disagree with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His voice is imperfect, true. There is an undefinable something about his voice, though, that I love. As Placido Domingo said, the high note is not the only thing. Like I said, I prefer Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah, but maybe that's because it's the first one I knew. Cohen has a staunch following of millions, so there must be some redeeming factor!

    ReplyDelete