Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sue's Killer Bread

One of my favourite snacks, while growing up in New Zealand, was a slice of buttered Vogel's bread. It was a dense, grainy bread that went mouldy if it wasn't eaten within about three days, so you know it was pure. They still sell it, but like most things, the recipe has changed and it's not as good. Once in a while, by a lucky accident, one of my whole wheat loaves from my bread machine will turn out with a similar consistency, but I can never do it purposely.
Last night, I started the process of a recipe that I thought might be the one. 
It is a long process, but simple.
Being me, I changed the recipe so much that I think I can now call it my own.
And I'm sharing it with you.
It is so chock-full of healthy stuff that you can eat it without shame.
I stole the name from our local ex-con's bread line.
Don't tell him.
He might snuff me out while I sleep.

You need to start this bread about 12 or 13 hours (or longer) before you want to eat it. I started mine in the evening and baked it at lunchtime the next day.

Sue's Killer Bread

2 c white bread flour
2 1/2 c wheat flour
1 tsp chia seed
1/4 c flax meal
1/3 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1 tbs honey
2 1/3 c water
Mix all together in a bowl and cover with a wet cloth. Leave on the counter for at least 12 hours. It will be slightly risen and bubbly when ready.

In another bowl or pot, mix 3/4 c coarse grains with 1 c boiling water. I used a mixture of 10 grain cereal and grits, but you could use cracked wheat or oat groats, or any other grains. Cook for a couple of minutes till water is absorbed. Cover and leave for 12 hours.

After the waiting period, mix the two together (I usually do this with my hands) and add 1/4c rolled oats and 1/2 c of any other seeds that you like. Spray another bowl with oil and gently place the dough in it. Cover and leave for another two hours. When it is almost ready, put a Dutch oven (or other heavy, covered casserole dish) into the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. 


Take the dish out of the oven and remove the lid. Spray the heated dish with non-stick spray and gently ease the ball of dough into it and replace the lid. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, to brown the top. Tip onto a cooling rack, cover with a tea towel, and don't cut till cooled.
No matter how much you are tempted.
You don't want the steam to escape.

Mmm-m!


There it is, all crusty and brown.


The inside is chewy and moist, just how I like it.


A slice of heaven with butter on it.


Can't argue with that.


Some notes on the recipe:
The original recipe called for 2 tbs of gluten. I no longer add gluten to my bread; I prefer the texture of added chia. I think it would be okay without either.
The mixture of grains and seeds is purely preference. A few chopped nuts would be yummy too.
Next time, I might lower the temperature to 400 degrees, as the bottom crust was a tad too brown for me. Which hasn't stopped me from eating it.
And I am going to gradually increase the percentage of whole wheat flour, or other whole grain flours. Buckwheat may be in my future.

I'm on a kick, like so many of you, to eat more whole-and-healthy foods and less junk. This bread will be a regular at my house from now on. I hope it helps your cooking repertoire too.
Thanks for reading.
And don't judge me for the thick slathering of butter.
By Thursday, I need butter!

5 comments:

  1. Butter, like bread, is the staff of life.

    That looks so good, I'm dying over here. I like my bread thick, complex, crunchy, and sans preservatives.

    But not only am I too lazy to work this hard for a loaf of bread ... my oven is still broken.

    So you are going to have to bring me some.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of nuttiness -- we were, weren't we? -- you figure large in my post for today. I think you're gonna liiiiike iiiiiit ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty. I wonder if sprouted wheat would taste similar to the chia. Max has started experimenting with breads and made a tasty one recently with sprouted wheat and other grains. I will have him try this one next. He seems to have better success with bread making than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right, I'm convinced. :) I just need to acquire some of those ingredients and a suitable cooking dish. It looks delicious! No judgment on the butter from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a similar ingredient bread but into two bread pan loaves. Here is my recipe for everyone to enjoy!

    In mixer bowl add
    15 oz whole wheat flour
    10 oz bread flour
    .5 oz ground flax seed
    2.5 oz ground oats
    .5 ox salt

    In separate bowl mix
    1/4 cup honey
    7.5 oz hot (tap) water
    10 oz milk

    In small cup mix
    1 egg
    2 oz olive oil

    Slowly add wet to dry w/ paddle attachment for 1 minute,
    rest 5 minutes, switch to dough hook mix on slow for 2 minutes,
    rest 5 minutes, mix 4 minutes, transfer onto flour surface knead several minutes then rest 10 minutes for three times. place in oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night or up to 4 days.

    On baking day with scraper gently scrape out dough onto floured surface, divined into two, roll out 1 inch flat with rolling pin and roll up cinnamon roll style and place in buttered loave pans. cover with tea towel and rise 1 1/2 size. while pre heating oven uncover loaves for crispier crust, bake 350' 20 minutes and rotate, bake 20 minutes longer. internal temp should be greater than 185' remove from pans and cool on rack. completely cool before slicing.
    * all the resting helps the gluten to form lighter loaves
    * I also like to roll loaves in poppy seeds and sesame seeds before last
    rise for seeder bread

    ReplyDelete