Saturday, April 14, 2012

Botanica exotica

It occurred to me yesterday, as I was creeping stealthily around my vegetable garden, hoping to catch my vegetables in the act of growing, that I do not grow many of your average horticulturals.
Sure, tomatoes take over a large part of the raised bed every summer, but right now, it's the unusual that rules the compost heap.

In their third year, the asparagus tips are springing up with abandon.


Blueberry flowers are gamely blooming in spite of the hail and rain. 
Everything in the garden is bedecked with droplets of intermittent precipitation.


Will this be the year that the kiwis finally give us fruit?
Oh, I hope so. Last year, the female flowered, so all we need now is for the male to do the same and we are in business.


The ruby red rhubarb plant has such pretty leaves this year and I just figured out why.
No slug holes.
Way to go, little rhubarb plant!


Now, as soon as temperatures warm up, maybe my milk-bottle seeds will have something to show.
Until then, happy gardening to you.
And may the odds be ever in your favour.

Sorry. Couldn't resist a little Hunger Games quote, for some reason!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Especially with the rain drops on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garden choices! I want to grow blueberies too, mabe next year when I finally get all the Ivy out and the bed preped!

    ReplyDelete