Monday, March 26, 2012

Have you ever seen a dino-boat?

Well, now you have!
Daniel was rather proud of his creation, especially the flight of stairs that leads to the boat.


I've been having the grandkids over, one at a time, to spend the night. Josh was first, on Thursday night and Friday, and Daniel was next. 
Papa nobly took him to see The Lorax on Friday night while Dolly and I caught The Hunger Games at the Cameo. 
I suppose he (Jeff) thinks I owe him one now.
Not even close.

[As for The Hunger Games, it was okay, but not brilliant. It wasn't helped by the crowd of junior high kids who went ballistic every time Katniss and Peeta came even close to having an emotional moment. I would have spoken sharply to them, except they were up front and I was towards the back and I couldn't tell who was making noise until they all trooped out at the end. They must have been on some kind of field trip because there was a school bus waiting for them outside. I am planning on being a real tartar and finding out what school they were from so that I can complain. 
Yup.
Grumpy old woman, that's me.]

Saturday dawned sunny and warm, so Daniel helped me weed for a couple of hours. Last year was the war on dandelions. This year seems to be the war on hairy bittercress.  All you northwest gardeners will know this weed on sight, but I'll bet you didn't know the name! 
Google is my friend.

After we waged a good battle and Daniel had eaten his small tub of rewardly ice cream, he talked Jeff and I into going to the park. We rode our bikes, as I was feeling the ill effects of unaccustomed exercise, and he scootered. The sky had become mostly covered with dark, ominous clouds, but the sun still shone on the south side of the trees that border the park.


I sat on a bench, feeling old and bedraggled, reading my book while Jeff and Daniel explored.


There they go!


When we got home, Daniel helped me plant seeds in milk bottles. I've seen a couple of tutorials for this around the blogosphere and it seems like a fortuitous idea.
First, you cut around the bottles about three inches from the bottom.
Poke holes in the bottom section. Daniel enjoyed this bit.
Fill with dirt and plant your chosen seeds. We planted roma, beefsteak, and yellow hillbilly tomatoes, and marigolds.


Water well and wedge the tops back over the bottom sections. The tutorials all say to join with duct tape, but I'm pretty sure this will work just as well.
Don't forget to label the bottles.


The premise is that the milk bottles act as a miniature greenhouse and give your little seeds an early start.
We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Nice dinoboat! I love those sky shots too.
    I want to see The hunger Games, but I sure hope there isn't a bunch of junior high kids in the theater when I'm there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stairs to the dinoboat are very convenient. And Arky. Good job. I thought for oh point two seconds about going to see Hunger Games but you've killed the idea forever. I like your little greenhouses. TG would like this idea too; it's the latent farmer in him. I may show it to him.

    ReplyDelete