Friday, February 4, 2011

The location

I thought you would better understand my experience here if I first showed you my surroundings.
This is the house in which MamaBabyHaiti resides. It's a rather grand afffair, by Haitian standards, and is surrounded by similar houses, only most of them stand uninhabited and in various states of construction. One gets the feeling that they have been that way for some time and will remain so for some time to come. This house is not owned by MBH, but was renovated by them to its present state.
Remember, you can always click on the photos to enlarge.

This is the post-partum recovery room on the ground floor.  
Our drinking water. We have been without a car all week (one of those long, frustrating yet hilarious Haitian stories) so collecting new bottles involves a motorbike and good balance.
The swimming pool.
Don't ask.
But remember this for later.
Banana trees in the garden. Haitian bananas are quite delicious, even when they are in a state of what I would normally consider over-ripeness.

Bins of supplies, some of which were donated by you, my lovely readers.
Shelves filled with natural and pharmaceutical remedies.
A corner of the garden and the big old wall that separates us from the rest of the world. We have been outside a couple of times this week, but our experience has been mostly inside this compound.
We are surrounded by concrete. This wall around one of the upstairs patios cracks me up, because it looks like nicely turned wood. It is, in fact, concrete. We see the vertical supports for sale along the roads. They are sold in two sections and then cemented together on site.
Ah yes.
This is the room where we lie awake at night, listening to cows mooing, dogs barking, roosters crowing, and the frog in the pool bellowing.
Yes.
I said bellowing.
I have named him "Satan" for good reason.
The sitting room, where we talk at night by the light of a flashlight or hit the computers every time the power comes on.
Like now.
It's 2:30 a.m. and I'm going to bed.
Lisa and I are heading to the Dominican Republic (henceforth refered to as "the DR") in the morning. Hopefully we can find wi-fi when we get to Santa Domingo and the story will continue.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice place! Our group is leaving Haiti this morning. They also talk of the noise at night - especially the roosters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would find a bellowing frog to serenade you in Haiti.

    I heard his twin bro hangs out in the DR.

    Be safe, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a very nice facility! It has me wondering, with all the supplies and medicines, is it a target for crime? That is interesting that the banister is concrete! I never knew they could do that. I think I need some of those concrete rails in my house so the kids can't break them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if it weren't for the non electricity and Satan bellowing at night, I'd say you were in pretty posh surrounding. By the way, we had a dinner and a movie night last night because Colleen got the DVD Devil. I'll let her know that you have your own version of it down there.

    ReplyDelete