Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This and that on Thursday

Thursday morning brought a crowd of hopeful people to our gate. It was a health clinic morning, first-come-first-served, with only time for about 25 people. Our guys reported about 100 people in the road. Tempers flared when Jason handed out the numbers, with arguments over who was there first and lots of yelling at Jason and each other. 
The system needs some work.
Once things settled down, people began to file into the waiting area and peace reigned.
Lisa and I had promised to make dinner in the evening and had given Lucien our shopping list. Lisa's plan was lentil soup and salad, but Lucien couldn't find lentils so she settled for beans. I had asked him to buy butter, apples, and milk, but when I started to cook he was in town and I couldn't find any of the ingredients except three apples. So I made naan using milk powder and some nasty margarine of the type that does not need refrigeration. The plan for dessert was German Apple pancake, but that went out the window when, as usual, we were without power. Cooking is done on a propane stove by the light of headlamps. 

I have to make a few observations about the kitchen. 
There is no refrigerator, so perishables are stored in an ice chest that is slightly (understatement) scary.
Also, some items that we Americans think are perishable are, well, not. At least by Haitian standards.
There are ants everywhere.
Cupboards, sinks, and counters are in a state of dirtiness that goes way past my comfort level. It's better if you try not to think about it or you would never eat the finished products. I am still amazed that we were not all sick, all of the time.
Other than the fridge, the kitchen is fairly well equipped. Except that the dishwasher doesn't work and, oh yeah, there's never power to run the appliances!
Next, I got started on crepes, using powdered milk, which worked quite well. By the time Lucien returned I was ready to start on the caramel sauce and I was happy to be shown the box of shelf-stable milk. Still no butter though, or brown sugar. I threw a few desperate prayers into the universe and started caramelizing some sugar. 

The propane stove is not a delicate instrument and the first batch hardened and stuck to the pan. I salvaged what I could and started over in a new pan, adding some water this time. After the mixture turned golden I added some nasty margarine and milk and some rather strange vanilla and managed to pull off a pretty nice caramel sauce. I sliced bananas and apples into the sauce, placed them strategically in the crepes and voila! the first dessert seen in the MBH compound in a long time.
We used the bottled water for all drinking and cooking.  
Lisa was doing something weird with chicken stock in the blender, which I couldn't figure out because we didn't have power!
Sadly, we were all so busy lapping up the crepes that no one took photos.
But here is the main course.
Be impressed.
Be very impressed. 
Lisa and I make a pretty good team, which is slightly unlikely because we are both very opinionated and strong-willed. We managed to subjugate our natural inclinations for the entire trip and let our passion and zeal work in our favour.
Pretty awesome, huh?
Misty took great pleasure in laughing at our eccentric ways and said we were like an old married couple.
Whatever!

Some exciting news from Haiti.... 
...our seeds are sprouting!
More awesomeness.

It's funny, one of my friends told me I was a hoot in choir practice on Sunday and wanted to know if I was high on something. 
Truth be told, I have been inordinately happy since being in Haiti, none of the usual post-holiday blues.
I think this kind of thing agrees with me.
Somehow, I don't think Jeff's going to be too happy to know that.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for sprouting seeds!

    Yay for you and me! Yes, it's true, we were a good team, despite our similar sparring spirits. And that was one awesome meal, especially dessert!

    Yay for happiness! It's weird, isn't it, that we could be so happy in a place so poor? I keep telling people, "Our trip was all kinds of awesome."

    You're doing such an amazing job with the trip blog that I'm handing it over to you. Here's my one lame report: http://lisameadowsgarfield.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have a hard time eating in those conditions! Kudos to you tow - you pulled it off, looks like a very nice supper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so amazed at what you were able to do without electricity. I wouldn't know the first thing about cooking without modern appliances. What an amazing dinner you two put together.
    So glad that all your hard work in the garden is paying off.

    ReplyDelete