Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nana stories: Part II (The End of Summer Fling, Day 1)

I know what you're thinking.
You mean we have to suffer through more than one day of this?
Yes indeed!

Bethany was bemoaning the fact that there were still two weeks left of summer holidays and wondering if she would survive the torture bliss.
I had a little think to myself as I drove home and decided to invite the kids over for a couple of days of fun in the sun. 
One of my friends does a week-long camp for her grandkids every summer.
I'm not that crazy resourceful, but I figured I had a good twenty-four hours in me.

The next Monday afternoon, Bethany gleefully wistfully dropped them off and danced her way out of the door with Madelyn.

I had done a little prep work and mooched some giant bubble paraphernalia from my friend, Hope. 
Let me tell you, this Nana rocked the entertainment factor that evening! Here is the link to the bubble instructions, just in case you want to be mighty like me.
Or, if you're very polite, I'll give you Hope's number!


Next on the menu was customized individual pizzas for dinner.
I whipped up a gluten-free crust for Josh and he was meticulous in the placement of his toppings: pepperoni, olives, and pineapple.
No cheese for this dairy-free boy!


Here it is, ready to go in the oven. I wish I had gotten a photo of him eating it. I have never seen him eat anything quite so gleefully, with little grunts of satisfaction. He ate almost the whole pizza for dinner and the rest for lunch the next day. This Nana's heart was most delighted.


Kenzie and Natalie with their more traditional pizzas. Natalie discovered that she likes pineapple on her pizza.


Daniel had breadsticks, as usual, and I forgot to take a photo but I would have had to be quick as they were eaten in a flash.

After dinner, we played with the bubbles some more and then got ready for bed.
Pyjamas were donned and teeth cleaned.


We played an excruciatingly long game of Uno and then went to bed.
Promises of "lots of fun tomorrow" quelled their tendency to chatter and they were soon asleep.
My pillow and I were very happy to see each other.

3 comments:

  1. So fun! Is this friend Hope my sisiter by chance? Not a common name, We are also a dairy free family because my son Alton is allergic. Its been such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's your sister Hope! She saved my bacon, yes she did!

      Delete
  2. That is amazing! I will have to do those bubbles with my girls next summer.

    ReplyDelete