Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 22: Sew much to do

A couple of years ago, I determined to make use of the large amounts of fabric scraps that have monopolized the space in our smallest bedroom ever since it was happily vacated by some child or another for the bigger bedroom. Jeff complains once in a while, but not so much since he got his very own man-cave and started filling it with books and tools and all sorts of masculine paraphernalia.

So I started cutting out little squares and triangles of coordinating fabric. I have lots of samples from about thirty years ago, when I sewed for a friend who was in the business. I always knew they would come in handy some day! I pieced this top together and pinned it shortly after making my resolution, then ran out of courage when it came to the machine quilting part. 


I manned up this week and dug the sewing machine out of a heap of stuff.
The quilting isn't very complicated and sewed up pretty fast.


A little Google and a YouTube video got me past my fear of binding.


It is all very imperfect, just like me.


The pin-tucked white fabric in the centre of this square is from a wedding dress that I made almost thirty years ago. It had all sorts of pin-tucked sections and lace inserts and took about forty hours to complete. 


Pardon me if you've heard the story before, but this was when the Portland, Oregon LDS temple was being built and our family had been asked to contribute $200 to the building fund. It seemed like a fortune at the time, because Jeff was earning very little money and it was all we could do to pay the basic bills. I was working at a restaurant as a hostess, doing childcare, and also sewing for my friend. I couldn't think how we were going to come up with the money. Then my friend asked me to sew this wedding dress for some promotional thing she was doing. I charged her $200. Which, in retrospect, was too little money, but it was before I had gained a healthy respect for the value of my time. And it did solve the problem.

The strip of blue heart fabric is from Daisy Kingdom dresses that I made for Bethany and Annie one Easter. I still have the dresses, but apparently they are not stylish enough for today's girls.
They were considered to be very fashionable at the time, is all I'm saying.


So, the quilt is finished, just in time to be put in the mail for a very precious little boy.
And I am thankful for the sewing teachers that taught me, at the grand ago of twelve and thirteen, to use a sewing machine. And the kind lady from church who taught me, on a few Saturday mornings, some handy short-cuts and skills that have stayed with me all these years. 
It changed my life, in a good way.

4 comments:

  1. I can't sew. But I have relatives who can, and my girls had the DK dresses too. How elaborate they were! And according to the little dears, very uncomfortable to wear. Oh well. We tried. I like your quilt and would not have the courage to even entertain the idea of making one, much less attempt to actually do it. But I can string beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt. I want to learn how to quilt but am not very good at sewing, or cutting for that matter. It stresses me out anytime I have to sew something together. Maybe some day I will find someone willing to literally hold my hand through the process so I can learn how to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice quilt. I love the fact that you incorporated so many years of fabric in there. What a lot of memories in this one quilt! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete