Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The girl is crackers for crackers. Graham, that is.

I've had a long-term addiction to graham crackers, particularly those of the Keebler variety, because they are more redolent of honey and vanilla and, IMO, have a more gentle crunch.
Unfortunately, I've become a compulsive label reader, and the partially hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup and preservatives and lack of anything remotely resembling a whole grain in the commercial product has pushed my craving for graham crackers over the edge.

Google to the rescue, as usual!
I found this recipe at Smitten Kitchen, and wasn't too happy with the sugar level and lack of whole wheat, so I changed it up a bit. We love my altered version, with its whole grain and no sugar, unless you count molasses and honey! I also simplified mixing directions and am not nearly as picky about the look of the finished crackers. And I don't sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar, although I'm sure Jeff and the grandkids would love it if I did!

Graham Crackers
In a medium-sized bowl, preferably one that has a lid, place 2 1/2 c soft white whole wheat flour, 7 tbs soft butter, 1/2 c honey, 1/4 c molasses, 1 tsp B. Soda, 3/4 tsp sea salt, 5 tbs milk, and 2 tsp vanilla. I also add about 1/2 c of coarsely-ground, soaked and dehydrated nuts, because I like the flavour, nutrients, and texture they add to the crackers, but they are totally optional.
Mix like crazy with a wooden spoon until there are no recognizable lumps of any kind. The mixture should be slightly sticky. 
Put the lid on the bowl or cover with plastic wrap and leave for a few hours. This will allow the dough to mellow. I don't know how else to describe it, but, like soaked bread, the finished product will have a better texture, so don't question or doubt me, just do it! 
After resting, the dough should stiffen up a bit and look like this.


A Silpat or similar silicon mat is essential for this next step, although I suppose parchment paper would work. 
Dust the mat lightly with flour.


Form half of the dough into an oblong.


Roll out to fit the mat, being careful to keep the thickness the same at the edges as the middle, or the middle crackers will be soft and the outer ones over-baked.


I am not too over-zealous about having tidy edges, obviously. When the dough fits the mat, score lightly through the dough to outline the cracker shapes. Be careful to not cut into the Silpat. Lift the mat and dough onto a baking tray.


Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes. The crackers will be a golden brown and they will crisp up as they cool. To be honest, you might have to got through a bit of trial and error on the baking time until you figure out how you like them. I used to bake them at 350, but found that the edges got too dark. 


Repeat with the remaining dough. When cool, break into squares and store in an airtight container.

I have to restrain myself from making these too often, because they are incredibly more-ish, especially when used as a base for butter or cream cheese or frosting or dunked in a mug of hot chocolate. They are not my beloved Keeblers, but they are an acceptable substitute.


Darn it!
But I am happy with how I "healthied" up the recipe. And I think it is fairly forgiving, as I am not very precise in my measuring and they have turned out every time.
Happy baking!

P.S. We're closing on our house tomorrow! Yippee-yi-yay!

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look very good and I commend you because I would never work that hard for a graham cracker. This is apropos of nothing but is there any reason you don't use whole wheat graham flour? I thought that's what turned a regular cracker into a graham cracker. But I could be wrong! Just curious. Oh and put cinnamon and sugar on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm... I might try this. Maybe. (You know how me and the kitchen aren't too close.)

    ReplyDelete