Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Are you ready for a history lesson? Or two?

Our flight to Harrisburg, PA, via O'Hare, was blessedly uneventful. 
By the way, I am designating O'Hare as the coolest airport, due to the traveling neon rainbow colours that flicker down the paths of the people-movers. 
I wanted to stand and watch them, but Jeff said, No.


We were driving from Harrisburg down to Annie's house near Fayetteville, NC, so rented our car from Costco, who have The Best rates for this kind of thing. Our car was a cute little Kia Soul, which Jeff despised immediately but had to concur (after a while) that it was a pretty good drive.
Our first stop was  QVC, because he had forgotten his contact lens solution.


Our next stop was for dinner at Panera Bread. Jeff was hungry, and you don't mess with the man when he's hungry.
Oh my.
I'm not one for eating out very much (my Dad always used to say, after taking us out to dinner, "Else, let's just buy a nice chicken and eat at home next time," and I am apt to think the same thing) but I may have discovered my nemesis in the restaurant business. I looked everywhere we went for another Panera, but never found one. 

Then, a quick drive down to Dillsburg to our airbnb booking. 
I am clearly redeemed for my bad choices on Kaua'i, as this place was so quaint we almost died from quaintness.

This is the old mill that was renovated by Art and Donna, the owners of about twenty years.


The log house that was moved onto the property and painstakingly re-assembled by Art and Donna.
Some people have so much talent and energy I can hardly comprehend it.


The room was over-sized and included a sitting area and a kitchen. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom charming and spotless, in fact the whole place was immaculate and authentically decorated. The fridge was stocked with breakfast vittles and Donna had made some sweet breads, which were sitting on the counter, waiting to be devoured. 
If you've never tried airbnb, I highly recommend it. We paid $130 for two nights in a setting that was idyllic and well away from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet we were only about twenty minutes away from Gettysburg, our destination. Clear Springs was once a thriving community centred around the mill, but is now just a few houses on a quiet road that sits just off the main highway.

I spent considerable time attempting to get some artistic shots of the property, which included the mill, log house, some sheep, and a sawmill. 
Here's a smattering of the purported artistic photos.

\

Are you still there, or did you die from the quaintness?
More to come, but I am going to keep these posts short, for your sanity and mine.


1 comment:

  1. I love that sheep. Oh and the doors that open out into thin air. I hope they're nailed shut. I'm the type who'd sally forth, camera in hand, and ... thud.

    ReplyDelete