Friday, March 27, 2015

Trees and blooms

It was such a beautiful day yesterday that Jeff and I went to the Tualatin Wildlife Refuge for a stroll.


As we approached the trail, we saw something that looked like a tiny helicopter, alternately hovering about thirty feet in the air and then dive-bombing some flowering currant bushes. 
What is it? I cried.
A hummingbird, said he.
And he was right. It was an astounding sight, as the tiny bird was darting around so quickly that we couldn't really get a good fix on it. Jeff managed to get a couple of good photos when it hovered to feed from the flowers. 
It was so beautiful, and when it turned towards us, its ruby throat was brilliant.
And then it flitted away.



The trees were in fine form, all covered in fluffy moss and with the sun shining through.


I love trees, and mossy trees are my favourites.


The springtime wild flowers are busting out all over.
Yellow violets.


Trillium in several shades.


This old stump, covered in thick moss and ferns, had a lovely slab of fungus attached to the top of the hollow.


This wee chipmunk was very shy and I had to surreptitiously zoom in to get a picture.


Not sure of the identity of these leaves, but we saw them in several shades of green and purple, and I liked them.


The air was full of beating geese wings and their honking cries. I wondered which goose decided when it was time for his particular flock to circle the skies. There must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of them on the refuge. 


 Bright yellow Oregon grape flowers.


And as we approached the beginning of the trail again, we saw the back end of this fat squirrel.


I just looked at Jeff's pictures of the outing and had to steal a few.


If you are local and haven't visited yet, do it! This is the best time of year, in my opinion, and it is free. There is a visitor's centre and frequent weekend activities.

2 comments:

  1. How nice you two have a hobby you both enjoy together (photography). Your pics are always quite good...I even like the birds...and appreciate that they are there and not at my house. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful - all of it! I especially love the hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete