Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Blue Shoes and Happiness


Today's quote is from the seventh book in the series.
Today's quote, you say?
It didn't mean to be, but so it is.
Don't worry, only one more book to go.
Until I start the next series.
Which, I am sure, will be just as quotable.

Mma Ramotswe had been shocked when she had read in a magazine about a famous chef somewhere overseas who threw cold soup over the heads of his junior staff if they did not measure up to his expectations. He swore at them too, which was almost as bad. To use strong language, she thought, was a sign of bad temper and lack of concern for others. Such people were not clever or bold simply because they used such language; each time they opened their mouths they proclaimed "I am a person who is poor in words."

Amen to that.
I am reminded of a quotation which I cannot verify, but goes something like "Obscenity is the attempt of an inferior mind to express itself forcefully."

Do I have to stop saying "crap?"

4 comments:

  1. Gee,perhaps I'd better stop saying crap, too. At least it's better than what I used to say. You are right. There is no need for obscenities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inferior minds attempting to express themselves forcefully? Would this be akin to using exclamation marks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually, did you notice that I didn't use ONE SINGLE ! in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was mostly refering to your daughters' posts, but you have been guilty yourself. You see, exclamation marks--like obscenities--lose their effect when used often. Have you ever heard a swear word from someone that never swears? You immediately know something is very wrong.

    However fitting this analogy may seem, I still would not use exclamation marks in my own writing. It is forbidden.

    ReplyDelete