Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dear blog...

...these are some of the things that I want to remember about Wednesday.
A visit to Birdland, in Batemans Bay.
The fulfillment of my dreams.
The cocky kookaburra that sat on the captive kookaburra cage and caused them to make a ruckus.


Petting a koala, at last.


Hobnobbing with roos in the kangaroo enclosure.


I was sneaking up on this group while taking a video and one of them came right up to the camera and put her nose on it. They thought I had food, I think, so were quite friendly, and very gentle and sweet.
This one had a little joey in her pouch.


No messing around with this ostrich.


Ostriches were originally from Africa and were brought into Australia by farmers. Some got loose and now they run around the country, terrorizing the natives.
The echidna is a weird and wonderful creature. This little fellow didn't stop moving. As you can see, I caught him on the run.


I held a python.
Be amazed.


And cuddled a wombat.


After all this riveting excitement, on to Bega, where the iconic Australian cheese factory resides.

Jeff, in his new Aussie hat.


The efficient cow.


The colourful cow.


Tillamook Cheese Factory, anyone?

6 comments:

  1. Daniel wants to know if you were laughing when you took the picture of the efficient cow. And Natalie thinks you're holding a baby in the one with the wombat. She kept saying, "Nana, baby! Nana, baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hind legs on that skink look non-functional. The family Skinkidae has an interesting history that includes the loss and subsequent regain of limbs multiple times across the phylogeny. Many species are somewhere between fully functional and completely lost limbs at this time.

    I often wonder if the echidna has a pennis (/clitoris, since they are the same ontologically). I know its ancestors did not posses one and its younger relatives do, so it split off somewhere around the time of transition between non-pennis and pennis species. Please enlighten me if you chance upon another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, for goodness sake, spell it right. One "n." I knew you'd have some good comments, thank you. I haven't actually picked an echidna up, sorry. Got some good photos of a male koala's diddly bit though, if you stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet it's not as good as the video I took of that sea otter at the Oregon Zoo. You can find it on our MyFamily.com page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that wombat! Love your face in the python photo too. Haha!! What an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have commented twice. Whoops. That wombat is over the top adorable. The kids have a book called the Diary of a Wombat, it is also adorable. Your face in the python photo had me cracking up. What an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete