Thursday, May 19, 2011

Leapin' lemurs

On the last day I spent with Mum, we took her to Hamilton Zoo. It was a strategically selfish move on my part. Ever since I saw (recently posted) facebook photos of my nephew's family in the lemur enclosure, I had been determined to do the same.
And you know me:
Susan T. Osborne.
"T" for Tenacious.
As luck would have it (and luck was with me on this trip, except for the mosquito bites) the Face 2 Face time with lemurs was on Mondays. The first Monday was during school holidays, so we nixed that as a possibility, as only ten people can partake of the lemurs' charms in one day. The second Monday promised to be torrential downpours, but we decided to risk it.
Now or never.
Do or die.

And it was perfect.
The torrential downpour waited until about three o'clock, when we were done anyway.

So, for a mere $10 a person (admission not included) we spent some quality time with ten ring-tailed lemurs and a ruffed lemur or two.
Hint: lemurs love grapes.
Carrots, not so much.
So if you ever meet one on your travels, you will know how to get on its good side.

Who, me? Oh, I couldn't. Really.
Must. Resist. The grape.
Oh, alright, if you insist! Mm mm mm.

I was in lemur heaven.


We were only allowed to pick up the ruffed lemurs.
Who were, quite frankly, only in it for the grapes.
Ring-tails don't like to be petted, apparently.
Lies, all lies!


Mum got a huge kick out of it. She thought she was going to lose her hat.


John is the only person I know who gets a greater kick out of this sort of thing than I.


It was all very delightful.
Hamilton Zoo is a small but unique zoo, with wonderful habitats for the animals and friendly volunteers who love to share their passion. There are still some marvels to share, but sixteen photos in one post is enough, don't you think?

9 comments:

  1. I've never known a zoo where you could interact with the lemurs. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I love the first picture of you with the Lemur. He's looking at you with such God-like admiration. Great pictures, Sue. I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I could have looked at 16 more pictures! Oh...and a caption for the first picture..."I asked for PEELED grapes!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something went wonky when I tried to comment. So I'll comment again!

    Awesome!! And there can never be too many photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the strangest looking animal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO sixteen photos is not nearly enough! I love me some lemurs! I am so jealous I am practically levitating! How totally ADORABLE they are and you got to FEED THEM GRAPES from your HAND????? I would've been freaking out from sheer joy, delirious with it, enraptured, completely bonkers with adoration of the denizens of the lemur enclosure!

    You lucky dog you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so actually I'm kinda jealous! Looks FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. am i the only one scared of their eyes? :/

    ReplyDelete