Friday, May 27, 2011

This and that in the House of Osborne

SAM_0454
‘Twas my birthday last week.


Jeff thought ahead and bought a new laptop for me.
He was probably tired of me hogging his!
Which put me in a dilemma, because I had been mulling the prospect of some new hardware for a long time.
And dropping hints about how much I liked the look of the iPad.


So, I freely admit that, when I dragged myself out into the family room on the morning of my birthday and found the laptop box sitting on the table, I was disappointed. It was bigger than I would have liked, it was from Fry’s (who have a lousy return policy and customer service), and I really wanted to have some input on my next computer.


I decided to be a good wife and not let on, which I managed quite well for a few days, but eventually we had an honest discussion on the topic where I reminded him that he got to pick out his laptop. Even though I hog it. I did tell him it was a very nice thing to do and I appreciate it, even if I had a few ungrateful moments. So, we’re good.


We had to send the old laptop off for some R&R at the HP hospital. Thank goodness for Costco and their excellent customer service! I uploaded a bunch of photos so that I could work on blog posts while my old friend is away, but I thought you might be getting tired of my travelogues. And I think the old blog has turned into a photo blog, which wasn’t my intention.


I find myself having to learn some new tricks. I’m now writing my post in Windows Live Writer, which I think will be very cool once I get the hang of it. It allows more options for text and photo placement and will hopefully bypass the Blogger glitches. I’m looking for a replacement for Picasa, which also has flaws. Lindsay, who knows of such SAM_0453things, suggested I get Photoshop, which I guess you can find on Amazon for pretty cheap. I’d love to hear any other suggestions, ‘cause I always feel better when I have options!


The big news is that we have two pregnant daughters, due within a week or so of each other. Hooray for multiplying and replenishing! Gotta stay ahead of the bad guys in that department.


And. Yesterday I bought our tickets for England, via Iceland.


I know, third big trip this year. Crazy, huh? This one is for Jeff, who has wanted to visit forever, and I thought we should do it before the world falls completely to pieces. I also want to visit my Dad’s family, especially my aunts and uncle and cousin, whom I have only seen once in the last 45 years.


And. July 1st we are finally having an open house for Charlie and Sam. Annie and Elsie will be here, if pregnancy sickness allows, and the good times will roll.


Now all we need is a little bit of summer. 


5 comments:

  1. How fun for Annie and Bethany! You are having one BUSY year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for wanting to pick your own laptop. I've tried live writer, but it doesn't work on my computer. I just bought Photoshop today and can't wait to try it out!
    WooHoo for new babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a new laptop too, but for work. I was allowed to pick it out because TG wouldn't have the first clue. I'm a little curious as to why you'd want an iPad instead of a laptop! A MacBook Pro would be just the ticket. My new laptop is an HP Pavilion because I needed Windows to run my court reporting software. The computer I love most in the world is my iMac ... the one that was picked out for me by my children! I guess what I love most is the love that was behind it.

    Happy belated birthday, Hobbit! And happy Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I wanted something small to take with me on the road. Or plane. I probably wouldn't use it much at home for blogging or anything. I didn't really think that we needed two laptops, as we still have our old desktop as a backup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought as much, Hobbit. But then, at least promise me you'll try out the MacBook Air! So tiny! But I agree the iPad2 is mucho awesome! Whatever you do, get exactly what YOU want for YOUR birthday! Truth be known, this computer stuff makes my head hurt but where would we be without them? Back to stone tablets, I guess.

    ReplyDelete