Thursday, November 17, 2011

Metamorphosis of a crop

First, there was this:


In spite of all my whinging, the tomato crop ended up being quite fantastic this year. I give all the credit to my nifty my-Dad-would-be-so-proud-of-me tomato cages. If we had been home throughout the whole month of September, it would have been even better. 

Memo to self: quit planning extended trips for early fall.

I roasted about half of the crop and canned the rest. My freezers are absurdly full so I left a jarful of the roasted variety in my fridge. 

Last week, I had a hankering for homemade pizza. Actually, it was partly a hankering and partly my cunning plan to feed Jeff so well that he forsakes his cunning plan of sneaking-into-fast-food-joints-every-excuse-he-can-summon.

So I made a simple crust in the bread machine.
I sliced red peppers and mushrooms and red onions.
I chopped some Canadian bacon that should have been used long ago but was somehow still botulism-free.
I pureed those tomatoes and added some Italian seasoning and some of that nasty premixed spaghetti seasoning that tastes so yummy.
I pulled out the bag of Sorrento Unltimate Pizza Shred that is a hearty blend of Mozzarella, Bel Paese, Asiago, Provolone, and Parmesan cheeses. It is the best pizza cheese I have ever tasted.

I divided the dough into two pieces, slathered it with plenty of olive oil, and let it rest for a few minutes on two pizza stones. Once it had rested, it was easy to stretch it out in a semblance of a circle. 
Then I sprinkled the veggies and meat liberally on the crust. Just onion and C. bacon on my portion.
At which point I realized that I had forgotten to spread the sauce on the crust.
Oh well. I just dolloped it over the toppings and spread it out as best as I could.
Then, lots of cheese.
And, just a few minutes later we had this:


It was one of the best pizzas I have ever made.
In spite of the dolloped sauce.
Jeff took a couple of slices for lunch every day so far this week and didn't complain once.

Now I'm hungry.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! You are making me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks amazing. I'm staring at that picture, wishing the smell would come through the computer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so tasty! I think if you continue to make such tasty morsels, Jeff will definitely stop frequenting fast food joints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My keyboard thanks you for the impromptu onslaught of drool.

    ReplyDelete