Saturday, June 16, 2012

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ These are a few of my favourite things ♩♬ ♪ ♫

Sam and I went strawberry picking this morning. I was happy to have a collaborator, but I think I may have overdone it. Twenty-seven point five pounds, which I now have to either eat or squeeze into my overflowing freezer. 


One of the best things about living in Oregon is the bounty of fruit and produce that is available throughout the summer. The worst thing about strawberries is that they ripen right at the height of my allergy season. Apparently, the acupuncture is not working significantly on the allergies, because I have been confined to the house since arriving home late this morning.
Oh, but these little beauties were worth all the sneezing and sniffling.
California strawberries they ain't. I love their funky shapes and their tender juiciness. As I told Sam, I was a great strawberry picker when I was young because I didn't like them. All my berries went into the bucket. Even now, they have to be really good berries to tempt me, but I do love them for smoothies and *strawberry shortcake*, which we will be eating for Father's Day tomorrow. With lots of whipping cream, to offset the healthiness.


♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  

Peace roses remind me of my Dad, who used to grow them. The scent is divine and the flowers are prettily blushed with pink. These are in a lovely artisan vase. Jeff cleverly noticed me admiring it at Newberg Art Walk a few years ago and he went back to the shop and gave it to me for my birthday.
Most of the roses are covered in black spot and suffering from rain damage right now, but there are a few perfect blooms if I brave the pollens and search a bit.


♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  

A few weeks ago, I noticed that bees had built a nest in an old bird house that Jeff built and attached to a log trim. It leans against the cherry tree. It has housed chickadees in years past and we loved to watch them flying in and out, feeding their chicks. 
I like bees too, even though Jonnie says they are not honeybees.


I stood under the cherry tree for some time on Thursday afternoon, trying to get a photo of a bee leaving or entering the box. Of course, while I held the camera, perfectly focused and ready for the shot, nothing happened. As soon as my arm tired and I lowered the camera, up would fly a bee. 
They're crafty little beggars.
I managed to capture this fuzzy shot and then the camera battery died.
C'est la vie.


♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  

Here's a thing.
I have pledged to myself to desist from buying cookies at the store. They are too easy a snack upon which to overindulge and they are full of artificial ingredients, so I thought I'd narrow the list a little.
It has been helpful.
But then I bought a few loaves of Texas toast bread for 50cents each from G.O. and, at the same, opened up a new bucket of honey.
Oh my!
I've never been a great fan of honey; I mostly use it in my bread-making habit. But there's something about this honey that has me hooked. It is creamy and thick and mild and I LOVE IT!!!!
So I've replaced the cookie habit with toast and honey.


Yup.
It's that good.
My next pledge may have to be desisting from buying Texas toast bread.

Happy Father's Day to all of the dedicated dads out there.
The world needs you more than ever.

♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  ♬ ♪ ♫  

4 comments:

  1. I love strawberries! However, our strawberries in Michigan were really damaged by the crazy weather we had this spring. They are very small, not as sweet or plentiful and because of that - more expensive. Bob doesn't like them, so I never do much with them but freeze some for myself, and I guess there won't be much of that happening. :)
    Toast and honey sounds pretty good right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope y'all had a really nice Father's Day.

    I do love me some bread and honey. You are onto something there. Who needs cookies.

    Oh and you haven't lived till you've stood by the sink and dredged ripe strawberries first in sour cream, then in dark brown sugar, then popped them into your mouth. Warning: Highly Addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am up late, just finished working, and decided to catch up on my Google Reader just a little, which I am quite behind on, before I go to bed. I just had to pop over and comment on this one because those strawberries look divine, the roses are gorgeous, I saw you out there taking pictures of those bees, and I love that kind of honey! I used to buy it in big buckets at a health store in California. I haven't looked super hard, but I haven't noticed it anywhere and it is so heavenly. Where did you get yours???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it from a guy called Rex Meyer in Oregon City. He runs an order most years in September. I will let you know when I hear from him. He said most of the honey he orders is local, but I am going to try to pin him down on it this year.

      Delete