Thursday, June 27, 2013

Alpaca love

What I want to know is, have you ever seen anything as adorable as an alpaca?
And did you know that Oregon has its very own Premiere Alpaca Destination?
It is located just a few miles from our Other House. 
Don't panic, it's just me trying out suitable names for Vista House. I still haven't found the moniker that screams "Pick me! Pick me!"
Whenever people come to visit and drive the back way from Sisters, I tell them to be sure to visit the alpaca farm. So far, Bethany is the only one who has complied.

Alpacas were first raised by the Incas for their fleece, which was reserved exclusively for the nobility.


Crescent Moon Ranch is a breeding farm and has about 500 alpacas. They birth about a baby a day. A good sire will set you back $25,000 or more. The owners are crazy people who work long days, every day of the year. The wife will give you a little tour if you happen to see her. She knows every alpaca by name. 

Alpacas were first brought into the US in 1984 and now number around 20,000.


I want to take this baby home. When Jeff and I were young and optimistic, we dreamed of owning ten acres in the country and an alpaca or two were on the required list of resident livestock. Nowadays, we realise how lazy we are and how it would never have worked, but it was nice to dream.

Alpaca fleece is warmer and softer than sheep's wool and lacks lanolin, which makes it hypoallergenic. The fleece is also flame-resistant and water-resistant, as well as moisture-wicking. It comes in 16 official tones, which can be mixed together to create even more hues, thus minimizing the need for dyes.


Oh baby.
I love the crimpy woolly coat. It reminds me of my Uncle Eddy's hair.

There are two kinds of alpaca. The suri has long fibre that forms silky dreadlocks. The huacaya has a woolly, dense, crimped fleece. About 90% of North American alpacas are huacayas. 


I believe this is called a "snaggle-tooth".

Alpacas and llamas can be cross-bred. Their offspring are called huarizo and are prized for their longer fleece.


The farm is immaculate and I marvel at the energy of the owners, who are at least our age and perhaps older.

Alpacas hum
Just like me.
They hum when they are curious, content, worried, bored, fearful, distressed, or cautious.
Just like me.

No wonder I feel such an affinity for them. 


Alpaca meat is considered a delicacy in some countries.
I will try to forget that tidbit of information, and I think you should too.

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you absorbing yet more of the rancher ethos Susan, even if vicariously.

    I don't believe for a second that you and Jeff are too lazy to do this. But wow the 25000 per stud investment would exclude this from my must do business plans. That can't represent a sustainable future unless there is some regulatory protection in which case what kind of business is that?

    Still interesting animals. I wonder how they taste. Jk..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like venison, is what I hear.
      And yes, we really are that lazy.

      Delete
  2. They are so cute! There was a man in our nursing home who used to have and Alpaca farm. He always talked fondly of them, calling them his "packers'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well blow me down. That is amazing. They HUM?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue, i was out to an alpaca farm on the outskirts of Hamilton a few weeks ago to collect 5 sacks of poo for the garden. My 3 year old grandaughter, Annabelle, was straight out into the paddock to meet them - very curious and friendly animals. The baby was especially impressed and followed her everywhere. She was completely unfazed even though they towered over her. I've a couple of alpaca wool cardis which I've just pulled out of storage as the cold has set in. They're soft and very warm without being scratchy as wool tends to be. Dianne R

    ReplyDelete