Sunday, November 23, 2014

Hip Hip Hooray...for Venn Diagrams

I've been pondering Venn diagrams lately.
I love the visual representation of set theory, and it has stuck with me ever since first learning of it in elementary mathematics. Mr. John Venn made them popular in a paper he wrote in 1880, but the concept has been around for much longer. Mr. Venn humbly referred to them as "Eulerian circles", which are a looser form of set diagrams and were invented by a Swiss mathematician a hundred years earlier. 
Now you know more than I knew five minutes ago.

I doodled around a bit tonight. Here are some of the Venn diagrams of my life.

This one is a homage to my dad. He always told me that if I learned to play the piano I would be popular, and, in a way, he was right. I have enjoyed many unique experiences and met some wonderful people through my ability to play the piano proficiently. And I have earned something of a living for thirty years teaching the skill to other people.
So, yay Dad!
That's me in the intersection. Kind of. Depending on your definition of "popular."


This is not me.
This is the opposite of me.
But I do know some people who fall into this intersection.


But this is also me.
Probably with a loose screw.


This is Bethany.
She may be the only person in the world who is represented by this diagram.


This is also me.


Or maybe this would be a better visual, with one being a subset of the other.
Because only people who watch Dr Who have any reason to be scared of weeping angels. 


This is our friend David. 
We went dancing together on Friday night and learned the horseshoe.
Are you jealous?
I think more men should dance with their wives and then more wives would be happy.
Dancing makes me happy.


This is Jeff.
He also dances with his wife.


And this is happening tomorrow.


Don't worry, it's only for a couple of months till Daddy gets home.
Life, it's a-changin'.

2 comments:

  1. I needed a good laugh. Thanks Sue. <3 Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I fit into that weeping angel group. :)
    Enjoy the extra's living with you!

    ReplyDelete