Friday, November 14, 2014

The fire is so delightful

By golly, we've been having some weather lately. For a couple of weeks, it was so wet that various fungi have been popping up in regions hitherto uninhabited by such wonders. Little fragile brown toadstools, big white and brown ones, and all kinds of in-between. I kept threatening to take photos, but never did.
Then this week has been frigid temperatures and gusty winds, followed by some freezing rain yesterday. This morning dawned bright and clear, so I took my camera as Barb and I walked our usual route and captured a few bits of beauty.
The sun was still low in the sky and glinting off the ice on the grassy field. 


Things were warming up fast and the icicles were melting, but we found some things that had only just been hit by the sun.


I love that this rose bush has hips, a flower, and icicles, all at the same time.


Here's something you don't see every day: icicles on palm trees.



This tree was covered in berries that were in turn covered in ice. I didn't notice the reflection of the berries on the leaf until I looked at the photo on my computer.


I think this might be my favourite: black-eyed Susan seed pods, covered in ice so that they looked like glass spheres. I think I can see my reflection in the pods on the left.


And tonight I am really enjoying the lovely fire that Jeff built when he got home from work.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brrr! I'm not a fan of ice. We got 10 inches of snow on Thursday. I guess winter is here, ready or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really pretty yesterday! Thanks for the walk and the great pics!

    ReplyDelete