Thursday, November 5, 2009

Musical discoveries

I went with my friend Kathy to see Lisa Hannigan in concert tonight. Her voice blew me away. Again. It is unlike any other voice. Expressive, hauntingly beautiful in its upper range, quirky in the rest of it. Lisa can draw a word out into more syllables than anyone I have ever heard, so that the words themselves become almost irrelevant and all that remains is the melody.
Here is a rather fun version of "I Don't Know."
Thanks Kathy, for the idea.



My accidental discovery of Lisa at a Jason Miraz concert reminds of the time I first heard Jamie Cullum. We were at a Tunes on Tuesday concert a few summers ago in downtown Newberg. The group that was to perform that night was playing a CD of a guy with an amazing voice. I rather nervily went up and asked them who it was, and for some reason the name stuck with me. A year or so later, Jamie came to Portland, so we went to the concert. Jeff and I both agreed that it was one of the best we have ever attended.
Jamie is a cocky little Englishman.
With a wicked sense of humour.




And now, I think, I might go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sue! I don't think I would have gone if you hadn't offered to go with me. It was a fun night! I can't watch that version of "I Don't Know" without smiling. I just love the joy they show of making music together and the fun they're having. It's interesting how that song seems to bring her personality out and Teeth seems to draw her into herself so much. I notice it in this video but I noticed that last night too on that one. She kind of pulled into herself before singing it. It must be a really personal one to her. It's like everyone else disappears.

    ReplyDelete