Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tat-ty Kids

When Bethany graduated from high school she took a celebration trip to the coast with her girlfriends. Upon her return she informed me that her friends had gotten tattoos. "Oh Bethany, I'm so proud of you for not succumbing to peer pressure," was my reply.
About two weeks later, I noticed that her ears had acquired another piercing. My sweet daughter had been hiding her ears behind her hair for that long! It was a minor rebellion and several years later, at the admonition of church leaders, she let the second pair of holes close up.

Ten years later, Charlie turned 18.

I noticed that something was up.
He was acting in a secretive manner.
He went to the doctor and then needed our prescription card.
He would divulge nothing.
My mind, of course, was taking all kinds of wild rides in the realm of possibilities. I was convinced that he had an STD and I felt quite sick at the prospect. I did some digging. In his bathroom drawer, I found a paper giving instructions on "The Care of Your Tattoo."
Oh.
Whew!
I was so relieved I wanted to sing and dance and hug his rotten little neck.
I felt like laughing.
His tattoo had become infected.
Ha! Serves him right, I thought.
I decided not to tell him that I knew, because it was so much fun to have him intimidated for a change. I realised then that he had been wearing his shirt all of the time at home. He was often shirtless at home, especially before and after showering. So I thought maybe the tat (that's what cool people call them you know) was on his upper arm. So I just smiled quietly to myself for the next few days, and eventually someone let the cat out of the bag. I think he overheard me telling the story to a friend on the phone. It turned out that the tat was rather large, Death Before Dishonor, on his left chest. Ugly, but at least his clothes hid it.
Then, a year or so later, he was home on leave from the Marines and walking around the house in his usual semi-naked state and I did a double-take. Wrapping around his lower torso was the biggest, ugliest tattoo I have ever seen. Think skeleton and who-knows-what-else. He was already a little rueful, having done it in the aftermath of boot camp. "So, Charlie, thinking about tat removal already eh?" He chuckled.

Then Annie brings Edwin home. Who is also the proud owner of several very visible tats. Including one on his forearm that says Mary Jane. Who is, in case you haven't guessed, his former wife.
Oh yeah, major blunder!
Annie married him anyway.

I was starting to feel like I should get a tasteful butterfly tattoo on my ankle just so that I could fit in with my family.

This Valentine's day Edwin started the removal process for Mary Jane.
Here is the facebook thread, lightly edited by yours truly.

Edwin White I dont know what was more uncomfortable? Getting a tattoo or getting it removed. Im glad I finally did it though.
Susan Wilson Osborne Tell me it's the Mary jane one! Is that one of my Roxy photos?
Edwin White Yes to the mj tattoo, and no, this is a pic of Roxy Annie took when we first got her.
Susan Wilson Osborne Oh, I see it now, she does look younger. Good for you on the tat. That was a pretty big one, did they do it in one session?
Bethany Osborne Mitchell Ow. BTW, I like that you got it removed, not that it hurt. :)
Charlie Osborne DUDE!!!!!! dont give my mom ideas man!!! shell make me get mine removed when i get back.... oh by the way... ill do it mom if you pay??!!! ;)
Susan Wilson Osborne We'll pay!
Bethany Osborne Mitchell LOL Now you don't have an excuse Charlie!
Annie Marie White I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!! :D
Edwin White Now where should i put Annie's name???
Susan Wilson Osborne Did you not learn anything?
Edwin White I'm not going to. I just wanted to see yor reaction.
Susan Wilson Osborne Ha! I foresee a blog post on tats coming up here. Beware!

So you see two things.
#1. People in my family do not know how to use punctuation.
#2. If you are patient and wait long enough, most things will come full circle.

1 comment: