Sunday, May 13, 2012

Circus of the Sun: Ovo!

While I have loved Cirque Du Soleil for decades (ever since first watching it on VHS tapes we rented from the library) I had almost decided not to attend another performance. Familiarity breeds...not contempt, perhaps, but lack of enthusiasm. Two years ago, we took my Mum and Annie to see Kooza. See the account   here. But I happened upon some seats to see Ovo for a ridiculously low price and had the brilliant idea of taking the two oldest grandkids to their first Cirque show.
They were a pain in the neck all the way to Portland, giggling and wrestling in the back seat, and I finally had to tell them to Cool it! 


Although Ovo wasn't as death-defying as some of Cirque's past shows, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We had pretty good seats, although they were towards the side so we missed a little bit of the action. I had my eye on the V.I.P. front-and-middle seats all through the first hour and as soon as half-time started we hopped on over and got some fantastic seats. My best strategy ever. You're welcome. 
Kenzie and Daniel were quite impressed with the stage and the performers who were roaming around the grande chapiteau as we sat and waited for the show to start, but my favourite moment was when the first acrobats made their moves. I heard Kenzie whisper Wow and both of their little faces were raptly intent on the stage. 
I loved the butterflies best of all. You can see a few seconds of their act in this trailer (the couple in white on the ropes) but it doesn't do justice to the beauty of their moves and the way it fitted the music so perfectly.



This video will give you a taste of the ants' juggling act. 
I like ants. 
I am an ant, as you know.
It was fantabulous.


This act with the trampolines and wall was the climax of the show and was very fun to watch. There were many performers involved and it was difficult to keep track of everything that was going on.


The show ended late and these two young souls slept all the way home.
It was heavenly.


Ovo is still in town for another week.
Here's what I think you should do.
Buy the cheapest seats you can find. Just make sure they're not behind a post.
Then make a move on the VIP seats at half-time.
You won't be sorry!

2 comments:

  1. You're an ant? Whatever do you mean, Hobbit?

    That's truly amazing. The circus, I mean. I've never seen anything remotely like it. Very cool that you heard Kenzie whisper WOW ... it's moments like that that parents and grands live for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://nostalgic-nana.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-am-ant-part-i.html Or were you being sarcastic?
      And yes, it was a very sweet moment.

      Delete