Sunday, September 15, 2013

Some beaches

The question has been raised, "What about the beaches?"
The short answer is, Jeff and I are not lazing-on-the-beach kind of people. 
In fact, Jeff doesn't like to do anything on the beach, as you will see later.
However, shortly after we arrived on Kaua'i, and on the recommendation of our hostess, Sunni, we drove a little way along the road and found this, Moloa'a Beach. Our room was very hot, it was early evening, and I talked the driver into donning our swimsuits and going swimming.


The sun was low in the sky on the other side of the island and the sky was a delicious tint of sunset.


The water was warm, but dropped off rather alarmingly about three feet from the shore. That, combined with all the rocks, made me reluctant to immerse myself. Jeff was wearing shoes. I said, Why don't you take those off? So he did. And then we climbed on a rock and he slipped and cut his finger rather badly.
So we hurried back to the house, blood dripping from his finger, and I constructed a bandage for his finger from gauze and Scotch tape. The house was chillingly unprepared in the way of First Aid supplies. I ferreted in the bathroom cabinet and found some thyme oil, which I applied liberally, hoping its claims of being an aid to healing were true. 
His finger healed quickly, so I have become a fan of thyme oil.

We didn't hit the beach again until our second-to-last day, when we were somewhat weary of adventures. Jeff was reluctant, as usual, but I told him that I had endured queasiness and bruises for his sake, so he could jolly well follow me to some beaches.

First, we went back to Moloa'a Beach and it was much nicer. The trees were shady and the breeze was cooling. This old Hawaiian was fishing rather successfully. He was happy to show us his catch and describe to us, in great detail, how he was going to cook it.


We finally found a nice, unoccupied, shady tree and made ourselves comfortable.
Well, one of us did.
And it wasn't Jeff.
This is his idea of relaxing at the beach.


I, on the other hand, lay down on my towel and enjoyed the view.
This, in front...


...and this, if I tilted my head back.


Even further.


Watching the ocean got boring after a while, so we headed back to the car.
See how we are?
I got scared by a black crab on the rocks on the way back and nearly fell on my face.

I like how the locals sit on the tangled roots of these trees.


We drove north to Larsen Beach, which was given a good review in The Book. It was a steep hike down to the beach. It is a very rocky beach.


I walked around on the edge of the tide for a while, just so that it wasn't a waste of a short, steep hike.
And then I went and lay on the sand.
It wasn't as peaceful as the last beach, and I could feel Jeff getting antsy.


So we left.


Buh-bye, Larsen Beach.


And that was the short, sweet story of our Kaua'i beaches.
Pitiful, eh?

2 comments:

  1. We are the same way. If we were at the beach I would be looking for a shade tree and reading book. The views you had were great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pitiful indeed. And "Larsen Beach" ??? Sounds like it'd be in Cleveland, on Lake Erie or something. Not in Hawaii. BTW you need to read my blog post for today because when I read Jeff was getting "antsy" I actually read Jeff was getting "nasty" ... and I thought (for the split second of a split second) ... NASTY? Well ... oh. Never mind. BTW BTW that first pic of him is truly EPIC. And the upside-down ones? Well, you're a noodle. That's all. Great stuff.

    Hey if I went to Hawaii? The ONLY thing TG and I would do (during the day) is lay on the beach. Not in the hot sun, but in the shade. And we'd read books and watch people (if we were unlucky enough to see any) and gaze out at the water. Then we'd eat. Then we'd go take a nap. Then back to the beach to take pics of and admire the sunset. Then eat again. Then a walk on the beach after dark. Then sleep, with the windows open so we could hear sounds of the beach. Next day? Same thing. No adventures. LOL.

    ReplyDelete