Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Whirly-bird tour

Did I mention that this is THE most expensive holiday per diem that we have even taken? 
As we were making plans during the weekend, we decided to throw caution to the wind and just do anything we felt inclined to do. So, on Tuesday we took a helicopter tour of the island. There are many places you can't see from a car or on foot, and we don't plan to ever return to Kaua'i, so I swallowed my frugality and booked it. We went with Jack Harter Helicopters, as they were recommended by, you know, The Book, and they have a slightly longer "one-hour" tour than the other companies.

Um, yeah, trying to climb into a helicopter with the blades whipping up a storm while wearing a dress: not my finest moment.


Golf courses abound on the island, although we didn't often see people on them.


The heli was enclosed and air-conditioned and we had Bose noise-canceling headphones and an intercom with which we could talk to the pilot, so it was pretty cushy. Jeff and I were in the back, but we had a decent view of everything. You don't get much of a choice where you sit, as they balance the bird using the weights of the passengers. And they weigh you, so you don't get to cheat.


So. Many. Waterfalls.
It almost got tedious.
I'm kidding.


We got to see Waimea Canyon from the air, which was interesting after being in it the day before.


This is the road we drove.


Going up to the Napali Coast.
We didn't fly over the swamp, which was disappointing for me.


The incomparable Napali Coast.


The island is almost completely surrounded by coral reefs. In fact, most beaches are not much good for swimming, but are good for snorkeling as long as the currents aren't too strong.


This is a famous waterfall from some movie. 
I don't remember which one.
Don't judge me. There have been so many movies shot on Kaua'i by waterfalls and beaches that you would lose track of them too.


Into the crater of Mount Wai'ale'ale (which means "rippling water") itself.
So cool.
Its 3,000 foot walls are nearly vertical. The mountain gets over 400 inches of rain a year, with a record of 683 inches in 1982. All of those lines in the walls become waterfalls after a heavy rain.


Wailua Falls, which was used in the opening credits of Fantasy Island.


And back to Lihue airport.
This was the only tour where the guide (aka pilot) did not ask for a gratuity. And still, I overheard a woman asking at the office where she could leave a tip for the pilot.
It's a racket, my friends, a true racket.

Wailua Falls was just off the highway on the way home, so we took the little detour for a closer look.


Lots of signs at the edge of the cliffs, saying "Danger, do not attempt to climb down the cliff", which people obviously ignored frequently. There was also a sign limiting parking to twenty minutes and forbidding vending. Which was being solidly ignored by some local with jewelry displayed in the bed of his pickup truck.
Nice.


Beware the red dirt of Kaua'i.
It will sully your nice clean white socks.
Just ask Jeff!

We were glad that we took the helicopter tour, but I can't say that it was my favourite part of the week. Jeff seems to like the motorized tours more than I do. The scenery was spectacular though, and there is a certain heart-stopping excitement that can't be beat when the machine swoops over a ridge and into a canyon, with cliffs towering overhead and around. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime adventure for me.

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying your posts on this trip. The beauty of the place is overwhelming! I'm not much for heights, but after seeing these pictures, I think a helicopter tour is a necessity if we ever go here. (I would have to really diet before the mandatory weigh in) :)

    ReplyDelete