Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 1 of the Great Adventure

Oh my, where do I begin?
I have so much to tell you.
I am completely overwhelmed.
And another trip in exactly a week with a list a mile long to accomplish before we leave.
So today, you get Day 1.

As aforementioned, Charlie took us to the airport very early on Thursday morning. We flew to Long Beach and then on to Dulles. Kudos to jetBlue for the unintentionally free movies and blue potato chips. After arrival I called the hotel to ask for the shuttle and then went to the bathroom. A recurring theme on this trip. The bathroom, not the cell phone. We had no checked baggage so proceeded on the long and winding road across concourses and down hallways to the bus area.
Where I discovered I no longer had my cell phone.
And we couldn't go back through security.
And no one seemed to know where the "lost and found" was.
I hate airport employees, who seem to have absolutely no concern for travelers.
Yes, I know "hate" is a strong word, but I felt rather strongly about it after having walked up and down the baggage area several times on the advice of uniformed people who obviously couldn't care less.
I deduced I must have left the phone at the jetBlue gate and was out of luck until our return trip.
So I scrounged the use of a cell phone from a poor woman who had been stranded at the airport all day and had finally been given a hotel voucher by the airline.
See, there's always someone worse off than you!
I called the hotel and we finally arrived there just before 8pm.
Hungry, having not had an actual meal all day.
Myron the concierge, bless his name forever, got us a meal from the kitchen.
Lasagna and creamy chicken pasta.
It was manna to our hungry bellies.

Another pleasant surprise:


The Staybridge Hotel is set up for extended stays and is like a little town. We paid less than $100 and were upgraded to a two-bedroom unit. It was as big as an apartment. Too bad we didn't have time to enjoy it. We had to be up and out early the next morning to get to the big city.

Score for the day

Bad guys:1
Good guys:1
That's a draw.

1 comment:

  1. A draw indeed. Reminds me of when we traveled to San Antonio for Andrew's graduation from BMT. The airline lost our luggage and seriously? They could have cared less. We went 24 hours without our stuff ... fully one-third of our trip ... in blistering heat no less. Thankfully they got it to us but still ... I feel your pain regarding no love wasted on airline and airport employees. God bless Myron.

    ReplyDelete