Friday, September 18, 2009

The rest of Day 2

So, of course, Jeff was hungry. Having missed most of breakfast. So we paid a visit to Five Guys Hamburgers, where Jeff chowed down on hamburger and fries. I ate a few fries. Five dollar hamburgers DO NOT thrill me. Then we decided to brave the Metro bus system to get back to the other Marriott, where we were due to attend a couple of Resistnet events. We forgot that we were in the NE section of town and the other Marriott was in the NW section. So the bus actually took us further away from our destination. I don't think residents of DC walk very much, because every time we would ask directions or how long it would take us to walk, people would say "Oh, that will take you an hour, it's a LONG way." Then we would walk it anyway. Miles later, we were at the Marriott for activism training. I kid you not. Activism. Here is (maybe) the new motto for all us resistance types. Clever, is it not? Later, at the Meet and Greet, we met lots of people who had come for the march. Some on a last-minute whim. Some on their own, knowing no one else. Lots of people from Texas. A very few from Oregon, who were making posters behind the curtains. Here is one of mine. We stuck with our new Oregon friends for the pro-troops rally outside the Walter Reid Memorial Hospital. We shared a taxi, six of us squished into the car with a crazy Middle-Eastern-type cab driver. There have been anti-war demonstrators outside the hospital every Friday night for the last 300 weeks. Sometimes they are crass and unkind to veterans who pass them, so this was our chance to undo some of that. It was great. There must have been three or four hundred people lining the four corners of the entrance, with banners and posters, and cars honking to show their support constantly. It was, of course, drizzling.  After hanging out at Union Station for a while, we caught the train back to the hotel, where we found a message that Annie and Edwin were on their way to march with us. I have a little video of honking cars, but it's not uploading for me, so check back later. Maybe Bethany can show me how.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Yay for our vets.

    You've got to go to my blog and in the search field, put Five Guys.

    I blogged about it not long before I discovered your wonderful blog and you became a cherished reader of mine. I think you'll like that post. I love me a FG burger. We ate there again for Erica's birthday on May 30th! I blogged about that too.

    Aren't the fries excellent?

    ReplyDelete