Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remember, remember

Armistice Day, commemorating the peace treaty signed between the Allied forces and Germany at the end of World War I, later became Remembrance Day in the British Commonwealth countries and Veterans Day in America.
Hostilities ceased at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
I remember, when attending school in England and New Zealand, we observed two minutes of silence every year at this very hour. As I matured in years, it began to be an emotional two minutes for me. Now, of course, it seems to be more of an emotional day each year that passes.

In New Zealand, ANZAC Day is actually a bigger event. It falls on April 25th and originally commemorated the ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) forces who fought in Gallipoli in World War I, but now includes all who have fought and perished for their country. It is probably the biggest annual event in New Zealand. Interestingly, ANZAC Day is a rare example of two countries sharing the same remembrance day that also references both countries in its name.

Well, I thought it was interesting, anyway.

This is one of my favourite wall photos. The men include a grandfather, great-uncle, and various other relatives who fought in the two World Wars.
I recently joined a military moms and wives group and today got an email with a link to this video.
I am a little leery of emotion for emotion's sake, because it can be used to manipulate thinking. 
But I want you to watch this video.
Some things are necessary to remember.
And get out the Kleenex box before you start.


Don't say I didn't warn you.

4 comments:

  1. That was good. I like emotion when it doesn't give way to smarm. Sometimes the line is pretty thin. I like your family pictures!

    Most of all I wish "they" would learn to properly punctuate the great saying "All gave some; some gave all."

    Notice that semicolon? That's correct. The comma is incorrect.

    That is all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny, I like a good grammatical whinge once in a while myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Sue. I truly appreciate your thoughts as a fellow mother of a soldier. It is really hard to seperate the emotion from the rest of it, but I tear up when the flag goes by and have done for a very long time. I know Nathan doesn't really appreciate my emotion but I am so proud of him leaving his little boys and going to Afghanistan where they are definitely not appreciated. I also felt that way when he was in Iraq. Just pray for them all the time and I feel so helpless that I cannot do more than that and send care pkgs. Loved your pictures, I get so many good ideas from you! Thanks for being there!!

    ReplyDelete