Thursday, March 24, 2011

A brilliant commentary on the usefulness of vinegar

Well, that would be the brilliant commentary that I composed in my head at about 3:30 this morning.
Which has now dissipated into the ether.
I'm not sure if I can come up with two such streaks of brilliance in a twenty-four hour period, but here goes.


I've been facing a conundrum for the last few years. I don't know if it's advancing menopause, heavy exercise, or extra pounds, but I sweat more. What's worse, my clothes have been retaining that odour in the underarm area.
Apologies to any of my readers who have tender sensibilities.
Get over it.
So, clothes that are still perfectly wearable are rendered less so by the smelliness factor.

I've tried many things to combat the problem:
Bleach on the whites.
Oxyclean in the wash.
Stain remover in the offending areas.
Longer wash cycles.
Hot water.
And phooey, nothing worked for long.

A few weeks ago I did a little internet research and discovered that many people were recommending white vinegar as a solution.
Yes, the same white vinegar that I've been using to try and kill dandelions.
Hint: it doesn't work so well on the dandelions.
So, I gave it a try.
And blow me down if it didn't work!
I soaked the underarm areas in straight vinegar and it completely got rid of the lingering odour.
Apparently, the smell is caused by bacteria that doesn't get killed in a normal wash. Vinegar has some pretty powerful anti-bacterial properties. Some people on the websites were recommending that one splash vinegar on one's armpits after a shower, but I don't think I'm that desperate!

So now, every so often, I add a cup of white vinegar to the load of wash, which seems to do the trick.
You can thank me later, 'cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who has pondered the predicament.

Vinegar has many other uses in the garden and around the house according to this website, which lists 131 of them. It's a low cost and environmentally-friendly alternative to the many expensive and toxic products with which we usually fill our shelves. Think: deodorizing, disinfecting, removing, softening, soothing. You will be surprised and amazed at the versatility of vinegar.

Although I don't think I'll be sprinkling my food with it to dampen my appetite.
Or rinsing my hair with it.
I have my limits.

I'll see you later.
I'm off to Costco to stock up on some gallon bottles of that lovely substance.

Vinegar.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with us. I will have to start adding it to my laundry. Does it get the stains out of the arm pits too? I think mine is a result from fragrant deodorant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Nicole. If you go to that website, I'm pretty sure it said to use it on sweat stains too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use it instead of fabric softener in the downy ball. It also softens the clothes, helps sanitize the diapers, removes all odor, and helps strip soap residue from the clothes/diapers! And it's so much cheaper than fabric softener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's good to know! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - and so economical!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vinegar is truly a wonder substance. This new use is very intriguing as I'm sure we've all had the problem. I also am liberal with use of hydrogen peroxide as a spray-on to wipe up counters and even floors. It has such a fresh smell and tends to remove stains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rinse my hair with it all the time! Just 2-3 TBS mixed in a quart of water. I actually do that after washing my hair with baking soda, again about 2 TBS in a quart of warm water. I pour it on and then massage my head. It's not really like shampooing with suds, but it cleans the oils. The vinegar rinses any residue and works about as well as conditioner somehow. After that I just rinse it really well with cool water. I've gone months before without shampoo and conditioner, just using baking soda and vinegar every few days. Now I just do that about every other time and use shampoo and conditioner the other times. It really does work great, though, and your hair only smells like vinegar until it's dry. At least something to remember in emergency situations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And don't forget to ingest a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar every day. Get some good stuff, like Bragg's. I just pour a bit in a tall glass of water and drink it down. You can add sugar or Splenda if it grosses you out. It has tremendous health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Kathy, how...pioneerish....of you! Interesting that you use B.Soda and vinegar, because aren't they at the opposite ends of the acidity spectrum?
    Lisa, I've read about drinking it for health, but somehow don't think it's going to happen for me. This is, after all, the English girl who doesn't put it on her fish'n'chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, a pioneer or a hippie or just crazy! :) People wash their hair that way for lots of reasons--economic, environmental, health (all the crazy chemicals in shampoos), etc. I guess I just figured it was worth a try and since the results seemed good I stuck with it, but sometimes I'm just in a hurry and don't want to mix it up or whatever. And they are opposite on acidity, which I think is why they work well together. After the baking soda wash, the vinegar helps balance the pH again.

    ReplyDelete