Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arboreal spring in the Northwest

I love spring in the northwest forest.
This afternoon, Jeff and I walked the trail at the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge.
'Twas a compromise between the long hike he wanted and the nothing that I preferred.
I was in a mood.
You should understand that, I said, you get in moods all the time.
He sensibly deferred to my point of view.

This pond lies at the beginning of the trail and is covered in some kind of weed.
Jeff noticed this big old bullfrog sitting very still. 


Although the pond is completely covered in weed, a ranger said they test the water frequently and it is full of life.
And beavers, apparently!


The neighbouring pond is still clear.


Trillium is one of my favourite things about the woods in spring. The three leaf-like bracts below the flower are the plant's only way to store food for the next year, so if you pick one it will take several years to recover.


Oregon grape is in flower. The shrub looks kind of messy for most of the year, but is pretty in its new spring finery.


Love me the symmetry of a cedar.


Things, they are a-budding.


Can you figure out this picture?
Look in the lower right corner for a clue.


And by the time we got back to the car, the fresh air and spring loveliness had done its work
and I was happy again.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful pictures! I'm in a good mood after looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That frog picture is AWESOME! What a nice place to walk through. (Thanks for the link!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Wonderful pictures indeed! Must put this on our list again. Did you see any of those crazy ugly nutria??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! But I don't get the clue in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a reflection, given away by the grass in the corner. I took a picture of the sky as well, and it looked almost the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Marissa, we heard a splash, but didn't see any nutria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the frog picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooh yer piccies are fab, Hobbit! What a collection! I too love me the symmetry of a cedar. The other day TG and I were driving in North Carolina and came upon a row of at least 35 venerable cedars. They are fascinating at every stage of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Nostalgic! I've been MIA but now visiting some old friends. Great pics, but I thought you didn't want to hike. Or does picture-taking not count as hiking?

    ReplyDelete