Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dreams do come true

This magazine ad from 1968 seemed to be something out of science fiction at the time.

In retrospect, it's strange that it took forty years for such communication to become commonplace.
Personally, I never liked the idea of being on screen every time I picked up the phone; some things are just better not seen! So, if I had an opportunity to have a Picturephone of my own, I would say, Thanks, but no thanks.

Mind youI would not say no to a little Skype with baby Elsie if Annie had internet right now.
But she doesn't.

This is me, fighting technology to the bitter end, and signing off for today.

3 comments:

  1. I don't want to be seen every time I talk on the phone either, but I sure appreciate Skype for talking to Andy in Afghanistan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mercy, no. I'd have to put a bag over my head if I had that technology! And I agree that it seems very strange it took so long to make this commonplace ... to some. Certainly not to me; I don't even text and only recently acquired an iPod!

    I think it's so funny that our kids don't have the internet access that we enjoy. It's the same when I go to Stephanie's house ... I can't even check my blog or email unless Joel happens to bring home his laptop from the church, and then the device can pick up a borrowed wireless signal from somewhere in the vicinity! More often than not it's just not worth it to even try.

    So I don't ... and I only miss it a little bit. But Skype-ing with Baby Elsie? I'd move heaven and earth for that. So Annie should totally get with the program. Tell her I said so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie has internet, but no laptop. Edwin is off training somewhere and took the laptop with him. So I will get to Skype eventually, but not right now.

    ReplyDelete