Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Remains of the day: an Ode to Cake

On Sunday, we had Jeff's birthday dinner. 
You know, the birthday we celebrated every day last week!
He requested the usual cake. It was particularly delicious (although not so pretty) and I thought I would post the recipe for you.
Then I got a little deja vu and searched the blog.
Turns out I posted it on Jeff's birthday last year and also on Jonnie's birthday.
So, did you make it yet?
Did you, huh, did you?

Just in case you didn't, here are some leftover photos to inspire you.
And no, we had no problem finishing up these leftovers!


It had a chocolate ganache coating; sweet, but not too sweet, and perfectly decadent.


The kids picked out the cherries, as usual.
I swear, I'm going to ban them from this cake.
Really, I am!


Check out that moist, fudgy crumb. 


And the thick layer of whipped cream in the middle.
Which Kenzie ate around.
So I ate it.


Dang.
Wish I didn't love cake so much.
Is there something wrong with me, that it makes me happy?

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that does look particularly delicious! You've convinced me. I'll definitely have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to make this cake and your Nanaimo bars and LOTS of other stuff. I would love to. But I can't. Got a goal and I'm sticking with it because I've found something I enjoy more than food - though sometimes I wonder. Enjoy it for me! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're just killing us with that chocolatey goodness. How are we supposed to keep those pounds off if that yummy goodness is even in the house. I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate. I will have to wait until I can sample some someone else has made so I don't have to be tempted by a whole cake. Did I say YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank heavens for Grand daughters who eat around the whip cream center thus leaving it for Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, that's what I thought, Lori!
    Sorry for the chocolatey-ness of the post, everyone. I think I'm in a state of rebellion against all the dieting that's going on around here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMM, looks yummy, except for the cherries. I HATE cherries. I think I will have to try and make it without the cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness that looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks delicious. Chocolate is one life's sweetest blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Photos of an amazing cake! Who needs that big chocolate cake at Costco when they have you!
    Emile still talks about how yummy her wedding cake was!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is wrong with Kenzie that she eats around whipped cream?

    Mercy.

    I'm glad you were there to do it justice. The pictures make my mouth water. You can hardly get it too sweet or gooey for me.

    And I do remember this recipe from before, and no I have not made it, but methinks it will be perfect for Erica's 25th birthday in May. Thanks again, Hobbit!

    ReplyDelete