Sunday, July 24, 2011

A party, a list, and a recipe

I had a busy week (well, except for Thursday, which was the last blog post, so you know I'm lying) so it was with relief that I awoke on Friday morning and lay in bed long beyond the hour when I should have gone for a run or biked to the gym. It was a perfect summer's day, our best yet this year. So I sat on the deck, put my feet up, admired the sunshine, listened to the birds sing, and drank my healthy smoothie.


Yes'm, nothing like a pair of feet in some Keen flip-flops to add some class to a pretty back-yard picture!

Mid-morning, I picked up Thomy and Jeff and headed out to Bethany's house for Joshie's fifth birthday party. It was a low-key affair, only four non-family participants, but Jeff pulled a bashful.
He hid at the top of the stairs. 
Slowly, he descended, until he was on the bottom step.


And there he stayed, in varying degrees of concealment...


...until, at last, I jollied a smile out of him.

Even a promise of a cupcake and ice cream did not tempt him for some time.
He sneaked around the corner and under the piano.


Eventually, he warmed up and joined the rest of the Bedlamites and had a great time.
Did I get a photo of the birthday boy?
No, I did not.
I am a bad Nana.

Kenzie came home with me and was to stay until Monday, but alas, due to several misdemeanours on her part, which shall not be mentioned but did not come to light until she had left home, Mom said she had to go home today.
But never let it be said that we let the grass grow under our feet.

Kenzie was playing on my laptop in the evening and told me very gravely that she thought Miley Cyrus had killed Selena Gomez.
I don't think so, Kenz.
But look Nana, it's right here on Youtube.
So I Googled it and was able to reassure her that Miley had not killed Selena.
That there are many rumours on the internet so you have to be careful.
I'm still not sure she believed me.

A little later, she pipes up, Nana, does Google know everything?
Which, trust me, opened the door to a much bigger conversation!
Later, she informed me that she didn't like Justin Bieber because he had cheated on (insert name of teenage star here) with (some other teenage star).
Crikey. She's ten. I told her she wasn't even allowed to think about romance any more.
Then I found out her mom doesn't even let her go on Youtube.
Oops!

We stayed up late and watched Larkrise to Candleford on Friday, so slept in on Saturday.
We went for a run/scooter ride (I run, K rides a scooter) just before noon, which was far too hot so we came home after one long lap.
Then we made lists.


The girl needs to work on her penmanship, but don't you love how she adds things to the list after we've done them and then crosses them off?
I do that.
So we tri(p)mmed roses.
Yes we did.
And fertilized and watered them and weeded.


And then we came in the house and talked Jeff into vacuuming.
Check.
And we traded off pitting cherries and sweeping the kitchen.
Two quarts of pitted cherries in the freezer.
Check.


And we made cookies from a Marie Callendar mix.
Check.
And ate them.
And we thought about making cinnamon rolls but we were tired, so we went to Freddie's instead.
This is what Kenzie wanted to get:


Is any of it on sale, Kenz?
Nooo.
Then we're unlikely to get it.

So we got what was on sale, picked up a couple of movies, and came home.
Kenzie spent the rest of the evening watching what could be one of the world's worst movies.
Gnomeo and Juliet.
Give the girl a television and no sibling competition and she is in heaven.


This morning we arose early and made bagels before church.
If you've made it this far without falling asleep, you will be rewarded with the easiest and bestest bagel recipe ever. 
I was going to teach Kenzie how to make a loaf of bread in the breadmaker so that she could do it at home, 


but she learned how to make bagels instead.
And aren't they beautiful?


The original recipe is one that I've been making for about twenty years, but I simplified it and use the breadmaker to mix the dough.

Honey Wheat Bagels

Add to bread machine:
2 1/2c unbleached flour
1 1/2c wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 1/2tsp yeast
2 tbs honey
1/2c water
1/2c milk
1 egg (see note at end of recipe)
3 tbs oil

Mix on the dough cycle, Dough should be stiff, not sticky at all. At the end of the cycle, divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a rope shape and form into a circle, making sure to pinch the ends together well. Place on a cookie sheet (I love my Silpat) and let sit for about 15 minutes while you bring some water to boil in a large skillet. 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
Gently pop the bagels into the gently boiling water and cook for one minute on each side. Put the bagels back on the cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, till lightly browned.
NOTE: Beat the egg lightly in a custard cup and add most of it to the machine. Add a little water to the remaining egg and mix well. Use as the egg wash.

Yum!
You will not believe how much more delicious these are than store-bought bagels.
And, no evil high-fructose corn syrup. Have you noticed how almost all bagels contain this now?
You can alter the recipe by using all white flour, adding cinnamon and raisins or cranberries and orange zest, or sprinkling with poppy or sesame seeds.
Now go.
Let your imagination run wild!

And no, we didn't make cinnamon rolls.

So Bethany, seeing as how Kenzie is grounded till Friday, why don't you put her to work making bagels?

2 comments:

  1. OK I have two things to say: HOW in the sam hill could darling Kenzie have committed misdemeanors so severe that she would be grounded??? I don't believe it. Must be an Internet rumor.

    And this:

    NO CINNAMON ROLLS???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made your bagels in a long time and as I recall, I used to roll the dough into balls, then poke holes in the centers and stretch them out into rings. Otherwise, they'd often separate when I used the rope method. And again, as I recall, they were really good! I've always wanted to make donuts, but never dared. So IMO, you should try that, and save one for me. ^_^

    ReplyDelete