Monday, July 11, 2011

Return to Silver Falls

It doesn't seem like over two years since this post, but it is indeed. 
The question begs, how many times can one blog about the same place before it becomes tedious?
Don't answer that, unless you can be complimentary.
You know, like Sue, it's always fascinating and amusing when you're writing about it.

The day before Sam and Charlie went back to California, we hiked the eight miles of Silver Falls State Park. There are ten spectacular waterfalls along the trail. The falls tumble over thick, basalt lava flows which rest on soft, older rock. Over time, erosion of the softer rock has created natural pathways behind the waterfalls, which feels like heaven on a hot day. Imagine being all sweaty and hot and tired, then walking into the deep shade behind a waterfall and feeling the misty spray on your face. 
Ahhhhh.


Last time Jeff and I hiked the trail it was late winter and a very different place. Branches were bare of leaves and the ground had very little green cover. This time the air resonated with the songs of birds and the understory was thick with vines and flowers and shrubs. 


This picture I love.


We were also being led by an active Marine, which doesn't leave much time for lolly-gagging. The pace was much faster than when my old Coastie leads the way. 
Less time for photos and nibbling on snacks.
I arose early on this fine Tuesday morning to make some healthy banana muffins, which sustained us on our quest. I didn't get many photos taken (see two lines above) so photos of my fellow hikers are few and far between.
So, Sam, there's this one, in which you look mean (even though you weren't, at all!) :


Or this one, contemplating the banana muffin:


Neither of which are very satisfactory, but it's all I've got to prove you were there!

It was a great day.
Well, half a day.
You know, Marine's pace and all. 
We were in and out in a little over three hours.
But it was gorgeous.
And I got to have the kids to myself for a spell, which was kinda nice after sharing them with all of their fans for the last two weeks.


And then we went home.

7 comments:

  1. You've got some gorgeous pictures there!
    Also- I would LOVE to try some music therapy with Garret. About 4 years ago he was really into a few songs and even said one word a couple times with one of the songs. He hasn't seemed interested in music for quite a while, but I know it can be a powerful tool! Let's talk! (How about I owe you some pictures for payment?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's not a limit to how often you can blog about a place, because it's always different, every time you go! (And besides - Sue, it's always fascinating and amusing when you're writing about it!)
    Seriously, I would love to go there. However I would prefer the Coastie pace and not the Marine pace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, it's always fascinating and amusing when you're writing about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, Sue. I love Silver Falls and it's been a few years since I went last. I believe I was pregnant with K at the time, so 7 years ago. Guess it's time for another trip up there. It is absolutely beautiful and always interesting coming from your point of view, Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can steal some of my pictures of silver falls, you know the ones where i don't look a) disturbed or b) half asleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! I would've liked that cool mist.

    ReplyDelete