Monday, July 18, 2011

Ruminations on Armageddon and me

I just finished reading a book called The things That Keep Us Here, by Carla Buckley. 
I have been looking for some new authors to read, feeling a little ennui with my usual fare. This one looked enticing, as it proved to be. I read most of it in one sitting yesterday after church.               


It really made me think.


The premise is that a pandemic of avian flu takes hold of the world. About 40% of the population dies. The story follows the family of one of the researchers. Even though they were aware of the imminent danger, they were still very unprepared for the catastrophes that ensued when power and public services were lost, grocery store deliveries were sporadic, and anarchy became the norm.


The scenario is not unrealistic.


I'm known around these parts as the preparedness guru, but this book made me painfully cognizant of the holes in my arsenal. Even though I sit smugly at home when there is a storm warning, no running to BiMart for batteries and candles for me, thank you very much, there is still more to do to prepare for long-term survival.
  • I still don't have a plan for water. In Oregon, I believe a high-quality water purifier is the answer. I need to get on that one.
  • If anything happens in winter, we would have fuel for a couple of months, but I want to get an extra cord of firewood this year and buy some more large propane tanks. And keep them full.

  • I need a shotgun and lots of ammo. People get crazy in emergencies and I want to be able to protect the ones I love. And all my stuff. Yes, all my stuff. I will share, but I will not have it taken from me by thugs.
  • I need to really think through the kind of things we might need long-term that wouldn't be available in stores. Like Shoe Goo. Duct tape. Antibiotics. Vitamins. I wonder if pills last longer when they are vacuum-packed?

  • We need to be more diligent about keeping our cars full of gas. I want to make sure that we could go pick up the kids if they needed us. Or get back home from wherever we are.
  • We have absolutely no kind of generator and the thought of it is making me crazy.
This might sound a little farfetched to some of my readers, but, to me, preparedness is a mindset. Sure, it's full of long to-do lists, but as you get some of the items crossed off those lists, peace of mind gets a little closer. You have to live it, not just think guiltily it about once every month or two. 


So you see, all those innocuous posts about vegetable gardening, canning butter, grinding wheat, vacuum sealers, and stacks of toilet paper and pasta, have much deeper implications. I am really a right-wing, gun-totin' survivalist. 


And, if you're nice to me, I might take care of you when all hell breaks loose.


Lookin' a bit manic, aren't I?
Self-portraits are rarely flattering.

12 comments:

  1. All you need is love, girl. Love is all you need.

    Oh, wait. And a shotgun.

    What is shoo goo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I meant Shoe Goo. I shall correct this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, preparedness obsession must run in the family! We have a generator, enough firewood for two years (maybe three), a large water tank, lots of toilet paper, food, food, and more food (including lots of chocolate), but no gun. Must buy a gun!!!!
    Your sister Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I say we come by it honestly. Remember the secret food storage under the stairs? And the .22, purchased with the vow to defend said food storage?
    Good luck on the gun. I'm gonna let Jonnie choose one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just realized, my sister commented on my blog! I forgot to fall off my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, definitely a shotgun - they're on sale at BiMart right now. and ammo, lots and lots of ammo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. We're doing pretty good. I do need to be better about the gas and gardening though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, what is shoe goo?? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, Shoe Goo is just a really good glue for fixing almost anything. Once you open it, it has a limited life span, but I imagine that unopened it would last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, I'd better build up my brownie points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So when all Hell breaks loose we will trek to Oregon to stay with you :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you on everything you said in this post. I think about stuff like this all the time and am trying to stock up on things that will make life more manageable in a crisis. Shot gun and ammo is very high on our list of things to keep around us. We have several:)

    ReplyDelete