Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cherry-ripe

This is our cherry tree.


Pay heed to all of the lusciously-lovely-green-leafiness.
Notice the astounding lack of cherries hanging from those leafy branches.

These are the suckers that the cherry tree sends up from its roots.
All season long.
No matter how many times I cut them down.


We bought the cherry tree many moons ago.
We were so excited because it had three kinds of cherries grafted onto it.
Two dark sweet cherry varieties and one cooking cherry.
It's been so long I don't even remember the varieties.
I hacked off the cooking cherry branches long ago.
Who wants sour little cherries when you can have big black sweet ones?

About four years ago we had a bumper crop. A murmuration of starlings took possession of the tree and I thought that for sure there would be no cherries left for us humans. Surprisingly, I figured we got over 100 pounds of fruit, even if it was all sticky from the starling cast-off. We called all of our friends and cut down the branches, they were so tall, and sent the fruited branches home with them. We always do that because the tree gets so tall. 
The ground beneath the tree was covered with cherry pits from the ravages of the starlings and from all the fruit that got squished when the branches crashed to the ground.

I didn't expect another crop for at least a couple of years (cherries fruit on two-year-old wood) and I was okay with that. 
If you had had to deal with all those cherries you would understand.

But it has been four years and I am out of patience with the tree. 
I threaten to cut it down every year because I am sick of the suckers, but I had given it this year to supply me with another bumper crop and then (hand makes slashing motion across throat) it was to be Adios amigo cherry tree.
This spring, the tree was covered, covered I tell you, in blossoms. And I could have sworn that most of those blossoms got pollinated. But somewhere between the late frost and the wet spring, the cherries became almost non-existent.

That's it!  I cried. The cherry tree will be no more!

**********************************

I joined a harvest group last year and I am thrilled with the chance to pick free fruit and at the same time donate half of my bounty to food pantries and other charitable groups. To my mind, it's the best of all possible worlds. This year, I went on two cherry picks, but, sad to say, neither of the crops measured up to the lovely cherries in my very own front yard.

So, in memory of all the black, juicy, sweet fruit of bygone years, I am giving that darn cherry tree 
One. More. Chance.

And here's what I did today with Monday's harvest of Royal Anne cherries.

Washed, stemmed, and pitted....


...and into the food drier they went where hopefully, by morning, they will resemble something sweet-tart-and-shriveled that can be mixed into melted dark chocolate or sprinkled on my morning porridge.


Cherry-Ripe 

THERE is a garden in her face 
   Where roses and white lilies blow; 
A heavenly paradise is that place, 
   Wherein all pleasant fruits do flow: 
   There cherries grow which none may buy 
   Till 'Cherry-ripe' themselves do cry. 


Those cherries fairly do enclose 
   Of orient pearl a double row, 
Which when her lovely laughter shows, 
   They look like rose-buds fill'd with snow; 
   Yet them nor peer nor prince can buy 
   Till 'Cherry-ripe' themselves do cry. 

Her eyes like angels watch them still; 
   Her brows like bended bows do stand, 
Threat'ning with piercing frowns to kill 
   All that attempt with eye or hand 
   Those sacred cherries to come nigh, 
   Till 'Cherry-ripe' themselves do cry. 


by Thomas Campion



6 comments:

  1. I'v4e never had dried cherries - but they are yummy!
    We have a decorative flowering cherry tree that has also been threatened. It comes through with lots of flowers occasionally and thereby saves itself. But - it's been awfully sparse for the last few years and it may not be around much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to pay attention to my typing! That was supposed to say:
    I've never had dries cherries - bet they are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK George Washington ... there's so much good stuff in this post, I don't know where to begin. I feel a post-length comment coming on ...

    First off, just the words "murmuration of starlings" gave me a frisson of joy. How I love those kinds of phrases. They delight and inspire me. Thank you.

    Second I wanted to tell you about my niece Elisabeth and her little family. Her husband is a pastor in Twin Falls, Idaho, and they have three little daughters. A few weeks ago Lizzie had taken her girls out on a walk and spotted a cherry tree in a neighbor's yard. The tree was so laden with fruit, it nearly groaned aloud. Lizzie knocked on the door and asked the lady of the house if she and her husband could come back and pick some of the fruit. The lady said, girl, please do, we've picked gallons and gallons and gallons and can't make a dent in it, and all the cherries are going to rot. So Lizzie and Chris went back and picked at least a dozen gallons and found that they couldn't make a dent either. Well, apparently it's a cherry bumper crop in Idaho this year because they were unable to find a cherry pitter no matter where they looked. They pitted the cherries by hand, which is difficult for me to imagine. Lizzie made preserves and froze some and I hope she dried some like you because that is an excellent idea.

    Another excellent idea is cutting down the branches for people to take home, although that seems problematic in some ways too, but maybe I had to be there.

    Finally, love the Thomas Campion poem. "Her eyes like angels watch them still ..." ahhhh, lovely.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pirate
    Thank you for your post. Did you know that "murmuration" is the official name for a flock of starlings? Of course you did. Kinda like charm of goldfinches.
    Good on your niece. I am awed by her mad "pitting-by-hand" skills. It's the first time I've used my nifty pitter and I love it. I have a little hand tool too, but it makes for a painful process.
    I love the poem too, it paints such a vivid picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes I knew, Hobbit. Those names of groups of animals get me all worked up. Like murder of crows. I could say that all day long. And exaltation of larks, and sleuth of bears, and congress of baboons ... smack of jellyfish, rabble of butterflies ... scold of jays, clowder of cats ... I am getting dizzy with ecstasy. Better stop.

    I had to look most of those up, by the way. Don't have them memorized although I SHOULD.

    ReplyDelete