Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Shattered dreams

Play this.
Please.


I've often fancied myself as a potter.
Betcha didn't know that.
And I've had a hankering to work with glass for decades.
So Friday night our local Art Walk found me brushing glaze on a bowl that I purchased from the Cultural Center.
Brush it on thick, was the advice, so I did!


Into the kiln it went.


I fell into a burning ring of fire
I went down, down, down, and the flames went higher.


And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire, the ring of fire.


That baby was hot.
A propane-fueled inferno.



It was my job to scatter sawdust on the finished pieces.


It was a bit scary.


And right about here was where my arm hairs got singed.


Then the dish sat in the ashes for a few minutes.


Et voila!

Oh.

Oops.


My friend at the CC glued it back together for me, but I am disillusioned.


There you have it.
My one attempt at Raku.
I do not like endeavours that stipulate such a tenuous outcome.

So.
I signed up for a glass class in November.
Stick around. It promises to be interesting.


5 comments:

  1. What a bummer! It would have looked great if it hadn't broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the break, but it looks cool! I hope to take a pottery class one day. Looking forward to seeing your future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Sue. I have always been interested in taking a pottery class. I actually signed up for one in college but you had to come up with your own art work, not actually pots and such. I dropped it because I am not artistic and wasn't about to be graded on how creatively I could convince my art teacher what my piece was a symbol of. I am excited to see future posts on this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA!!!!

    Oh. Sorry. Just that I was thinking, that looks like something I'd make in a kiln.

    Have you found a use for the charred remains of your bowl?

    And I can't believe they couldn't provide you with a means of tossing sawdust into that blistering trashcan kiln that would've allowed you to stand back a little better. Mercy. You need your arm hairs.

    BTW my glass straws were made by a guy who is a "Master Lampworker." Now I bet that's something you could do. Sounds very cool. Glassblowing is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete