Friday, September 16, 2011

Thanks for the memories


I don't remember the last time I had fresh peaches and blueberries in my kitchen at the same time. 
Thank you, weird weather patterns.
Today, I made a double batch of peach and blueberry muffins.
They are but a sweet reminiscence.


Grandchildren devoured them, hot from the oven...


...and whimpered with regret when I informed them that the remainder were going to friends.


But after we delivered them we stopped and played at a park and they forgave me.
And, because I love you, I am sharing the recipe.
I think you should make some.
Right now.
Because they will make you happy.

The recipe is from the Taste of Home cookbook.
With a few alterations.
I love Taste of Home, its recipes rarely fail me.

Berry Cream Muffins

2 c flour
Scant cup of sugar (you know, just tip a bit out!)
1/2 tsp BP
1/2 tsp B. Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c fruit (raspberries, like the recipe says, or blueberries and peaches, only I'm sure I added more like 2 c)
2 eggs
1 c sour cream (I didn't say they were low-fat!)
1/2 c vegetable oil (I subbed part of it with olive oil)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Throw the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir. Mix in the wet ingredients and then the fruit. Bake in lined or greased muffin cups for 18-22 minutes at 350 degrees. Help, somebody tell me where the degree key is!
Makes about a dozen muffins, depending on your pan size.

Dang, I think I'll make another batch tomorrow for the road.

Also looming on my mind this week were a gazillion pounds of Italian prunes which I picked for free over the mountain. If I was going to be here when they ripen I would dry them and perhaps bottle some. But, alas, I am not, so I have been giving them away to anyone I could sucker into saying Yes.
I still have a 5-gallon bucketful.
Any takers?
Anyone?


And now, if you will excuse me, I will go work on my British slang.
Crikey, gimme a cuppa.
Eh, wotch out that lorry doesn't knock you on yer bum on the way to the loo.
Eee, I was right chuffed when that bloke gave me a buttie.
Don't forget yer brolly and wellies.

Oh dear, hope I haven't offended my two dear English readers!
Next time you hear from me, it will be from Merry Old England.
Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I so want those prunes. But I don't know when I could come get them... yummmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins sound delicious. I will have to make some. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete