Sunday, January 22, 2012

Totally tourist

On Sunday, Dolly got up early and went to the local Baptist church.
I slept in. Are you surprised? We are sleeping in a room that is only closed off with curtains, so the two births that night managed to create enough noise that I couldn’t go to sleep for hours, tired as I was.
Later that day, ten of us piled into the Toyota Land Cruiser (we were squished in a way that I have never been squished before) and took a trip to an old fishing village.
Feast your eyes on these babies.








Old boats lay abandoned on the sand all along the coast.
Here is a new and innovative use for old shoe soles.
Should you ever need one.


This is Rachel.
If I ever have another daughter, I want it to be her.


We walked along a narrow pier. Sunday must be net-fixing day and this pleasant gentleman was happy to have his photo taken.
Not so all Haitians. Today, I took photos of some children who were begging me to take pictures of them. I complied and they were enormously amused at the images of themselves. Then along came an older lady with a bundle on her head who kept calling me blan and making sideways motions across her throat with her hand. I think she was telling me to give her money, but I fled. With great dignity, of course, but fled nonetheless. I later found out that that particular gesture meant that she was hungry.
I felt bad.


I couldn’t help but think that his afternoon on the boat was pretty idyllic, with the sunshine and the quietness of the sea all around him. No doubt, to him it was just work, but he could do worse.


This boat is, I fear, beyond hope.


Pop bottles are used as floats for crab or lobster traps that are made from some kind of reeds or leaves, perhaps banana leaves.


This gave me a chuckle.



This post took me five days to upload, so feel free to hit the "like" button in appreciaton.
Mesi.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures! Glad all is going well except for lack of sleep. :) I would have fled from the woman too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating. Keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Nothing like a target-rich environment when it comes to photography! I hope you share lots more when you get back to the states. And I hope you get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete