Wednesday, January 18, 2012

We arrive

Our first view of Haiti. We were running late, as first there was a problem with the manifest, which held us up for about 45 minutes while they checked everyone’s passports. Then they had to top up fuel because we had sat on the tarmac with the engine idling for so long. Then they had to take out a few suitcases because we were too heavy. Yup. I think that was our fault. Somehow, they got those cases to Miami and they arrived at Cap Haitien only an hour after we did.


Serendipitously, we didn’t have to go through inspection at customs, so after trusting our bags to a MBH employee, we piled into the official MBH car and went on an adventure.
Cap is its usual appealing self.


Sarah took the five of us new volunteers to the Hotel du Roi Christophe for an orientation.


The outside of the hotel is so interesting that it took us a few minutes to get inside.





This is Henri Christophe, who was one of the leaders of the revolution against French rule. True to Haitian form, he was ironically proclaimed Henry I, King of Haiti in 1804. He was an unpopular monarch and shot himself with a bullet rather than face a coup.


There is something about Haitian art that speaks to me.
It says Susan, buy me.
And I answer, But my husband will hate you!


This is Sarah, the hard-working midwife who directs the clinic. She gave us the low-down on daily life at the clinic and gave us time to unwind after our long-winded travels.


After a bumpy, dusty, hot, crowded drive to the clinic, it didn’t take Dolly long to find a baby to cuddle. This little cutie’s mother died and when the dad brought her to MBH she was almost dead. She’s two months old and is the size of a newborn. Sarah has hired Dad to do some painting around the house and sends him home with formula for the baby. Hooray for all our friends who donated formula! Baby is doing much better, smiling and eating and acting curious. Her hands and feet are so tiny.


By the time we got to bed on Saturday night, I was so exhausted that I couldn't sleep. The nocturnal noises of the clinic and the neighbourhood kept me awake most of the night. Imagine birth noises, midwives talking outside your room, cocks crowing all night, dogs barking, and crickets striking up the band. 
Ah, Haiti, how I have missed you!

This post was going to be a lot longer but it took me four days to get these pictures loaded.
So there ya go.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting to see what you're up to there. Keep the posts coming when you are able! I love those white flowers. Interesting building and art. Cute baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are safely arrived. I love the pictures and the Haitian art too!
    I know you'll be a blessing to those you are serving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting when you're so busy! Someday I'd love to come along. I might have to bring some sleeping pills though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update. I'm sure they appreciate your help there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to see you and Dolly and all the good you are doing! I loved the art, cute baby and sunshine. Keep up the great work, tell Dolly hi!

    ReplyDelete