Sunday, February 5, 2012

Feeling a little too grown-up

I'm not a fan of Edna St. Vincent Millay as a person, but I just ran across this poem, entitled Grown-up, and I like it a lot.

Was it for this that I uttered prayers,
And sobbed and cursed and kicked the stairs,
That now, domestic as a plate,
I should retire at half-past-eight?

I had to laugh.
I've been back from Haiti for a little over a week. We arrived home at about midnight last Friday. The next morning, I had to be at a music therapy conference from 8:30 till 5pm. Same thing on Sunday. It was a great conference, full of thought-provoking stuff, but I barely made it through the Sunday session. All that sitting, three days in a row, nearly did me in, in spite of the therapeutic knitting that engaged my fingers all the day long.

I worked a lot this week, but every evening I have been just sitting. It took until Wednesday for the jet-lag haze to visibly clear. Every morning, I woke up at four. Every night, I was falling asleep by eight.
Sad.
Now, I think I'm coming down with another cold. 
I may have to find another line of work. All those adorable, snotty-nosed preschoolers will be the death of me!



Well, maybe not!

But seriously, it doesn't seem that long ago that Jeff and I would frequently go out dancing at night, or hiking and bike-riding on Saturdays. What has happened to us?

I'm feeling stodgy, old, and unmotivated.
I think I need a party.
Anyone?

A cheery thought from Ogden Nash.

At another year
I would not boggle,
Except when I jog
I joggle.

Maybe tomorrow I will get my mojo back.
After I joggle.

6 comments:

  1. You're just recuperating from a busy week and then getting sick on top of it! It's certainly not that you are old and stodgy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who cares if you're stodgy or not, when you still look good in photos. And these two shots are keepers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Jenny took those photos. I'm thinking of hiring her as my personal paparazzi.

      Delete
  3. Party? this is the second time you have mentioned the word and yet I see no invite in my inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ESVM had her problems but what a genius with the language. She's one of my favorite poets. Like you (without the world travel) I've had to work at not being sedentary this winter. Everything in me wants to hibernate. But I won't! By the way, do me a favor and drop me an email containing your address. I've sent a little something to all my readers and you were gone so I couldn't send yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parties ALWAYS make me feel better and younger:) Love these pics of you!

    ReplyDelete