Saturday, February 25, 2012

I am the ant: Part I

I was at Fred Meyer a few weeks ago, buying milk and oj on one of their frequent "$1.25 for a half-gallon" coupons.
Well, they used to be a dollar, but, you know, price of oil and all that.
When we had a houseful living at home, I always bought the limit of ten, because five gallons of anything didn't last long. Now that it is just The Two of Us (why do I want to burst into song?) I usually buy a couple of oj's and four milk.
So I get up to the checkout and the clerk says, Did you know there's a limit of four?
Why no, I said in surprise. How long has it been four?
Oh, a few months, she replied.
Well.
She went on, Yes, they had to lower the limit because people were hoarding. They were freezing the milk.
In my mind, I was sarcastic.
You see, I have frozen milk. Although, not for a couple of decades.
But, afraid that she would see the hoarder in my eyes, I smiled sweetly and said, Well, I guess it depends on your perspective. Some people would call it smart shopping. She conceded the point, albeit reluctantly.
And as I walked out of the store, I wondered what my fellow shoppers would think of me if they could see this


and the buckets of wheat that I plan to eat before I die.
Or foist off onto my children.


And do they know that gallon jars are my favourite size for lentils and chocolate chips?


And that I buy my flour in 50lb bags from Costco?


My spare room closets are havens of cans of hot cocoa mix and rice and dried potatoes


and vacuum-sealed bags of chocolate chips and Clif bars and boxes of candles and Emergen-C.


My freezer seldom has a cubic inch of spare space


and my pantry.
Well, let's not talk about my pantry. It is a disorganized mess and my oldest granddaughter needs to come help me organize it.


So yes, I am the ant.

4 comments:

  1. As well you should be! Woe to the grasshoppers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Hoarders are those who buy and never use what they have. You are a planner (I have a nice stockpile myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for nothing but did you know you have cats in one of those five-gallon buckets?

    Oh ... make that oats.

    As you were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Jeff had his way, it probably would be cats....all the ones who trespass in our garden and eat our goldfinches!

    ReplyDelete