Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Un-Valentine

Saturday was a balmy day for February. 
I felt the need to be productive in the garden.
I'll just go out and prune the roses, I said.
Then I grasshoppered around for a couple of hours, spreading lime and alfalfa pellets because that's what my master-gardener friend said needed to be done.
I weeded.
And spread slug bait.
And admired the snowdrops and yellow crocuses that are bravely blooming.


And I thought that next time I move the birdbaths while the spring bulbs are dormant, I should be a little more careful. 
These daffodils actually knocked over the cement birdbath as they grew up underneath it.


And these yellow beauties grew up inside the hollow base of the glazed blue birdbath.


My sweetheart was feeling particularly benevolent and dogged my footsteps for an hour or so. He cut up all my rose prunings for the recycling bin and emptied my buckets of weeds. He even went down to the flowerbeds by the road and trimmed the perennials. 

I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day.
All those over-priced cards and bouquets leave me cold. 
And goodness knows I don't need any more chocolate. 
You should see my stash lately! 
I have all I need. I feel thoroughly loved.
Happy Valentine's Day to Jeff, who had me from Hello.

Now, if he ever reads this, he would know!

4 comments:

  1. Our Valentine's was in the yard, with Colleen in the kitchen putting the finishing touches on the chicken cordon bleu that she made us for Valentine's before sneaking off to spend the evening with her kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now's the time to sing a refrain of "You'll never know if you don't know now ..."

    In other news, I spent too much on TG's card. What a waste, I said to myself, and then my very next thought was, "He's worth it." And he is. Also I got him cookies and he bought me perfume and my own overpriced card.

    We dooz it large.

    ReplyDelete