Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Seriously scrumptious scones

Why I cannot resist alliteration, I do not know.

First of all, a shout-out to the shy readers who hit the "like" button at the bottom of my posts. I really blog for myself, but my little heart goes pitter-pat when I see those votes of confidence, so thank you!
And, of course, you commenters are awesome, even though I claim to have relinquished my emotional attachment to comments and stats.

I have been working at eating more healthily lately, and if you know me, you know I like my treats. I can only eat so many bowls of soup and soaked oatmeal and the like before I have to have a treat!
So I am going to post some recipes that I've enjoyed lately.
My main goal is to eat much less processed foods and more whole foods. This is a fairly attainable goal for me because I have always loved to cook and bake and experiment with recipes. My big disclaimer is that I rarely make a recipe the same way twice and so it's hard for me to give exact quantities. If you don't mind a bit of experimenting, come along for the ride.

The first recipe is a scone recipe that was already "healthied up" by another blogger. Her original version is here, but I chose to leave out the caramel topping (why go to all that trouble of cutting down on sugar then add caramel?) and it was still great.
If you want to check out the Oregon Cottage blog, she has many great recipes and craft and decorating ideas.

Now, isn't your mouth watering for that lovely dense, moist crumb?


Double Apple Scones
3 c whole wheat pastry flour (regular whole wheat won't give as tender a scone)
1/3 c brown sugar 
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs BP
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c cold butter, cut into little pieces
3/4 c peeled and grated apple
2 large eggs, preferably from somebody's happy hen
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c raisins
milk for brushing tops
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Mix butter into first five ingredients as you would for pastry, then lightly mix in remaining ingredients.
I like to use a Silpat for patting out the scone dough and then I just lift it all onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle the Silpat lightly with flour first, as the dough is sticky. Pat or roll out the dough to fit the Silpat and lightly score into squares. Be careful not to cut into the mat. I ruined my first one this way!
Brush dough with milk, the creamier the better, and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar.
It's not a bad idea to cover and let the dough sit for a while at this point, as it makes a softer scone. 
When you're ready to bake them, do it for 20 minutes or so at 400 degrees, until the middle ones are cooked all the way through. Don't over-bake, as they will be dry.
Yucky. We don't want dry scones.
Eat as soon as you can, and share with a friend, or the choir, or the football team, as they are much better when fresh.



I made some pumpkin-chocolate chip scones using the same recipe, substituting 1 c pureed pumpkin or squash for the two kinds of apple and, of course, chocolate chips for the raisins.
YUMMY!

Now, go make some of these and bring me some when you're done.
Thank you.

Next time: Irresistible Graham Crackers.

4 comments:

  1. looks yummy!
    Do you think it would work out if the dairy and egg had substitutes? What would you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, I guess you could use the dairy-free margarine, but I don't know about eggs. I don't usually try to do substitutes on a recipe that is so dependent on the butter for its taste and consistency. Keep an eye out for the graham cracker recipe though, because I think it could be done with subs. No eggs either.

      Delete
  2. I learned something new! I never knew about the like button before - very cool!
    The recipe looks yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M oven is still broken but I think I'll take this recipe along when I go to NC to celebrate the impending first birthday of Captain Adorable! I like to commandeer my girls' ovens like a true pirate. They never seem to mind. My grands will love these.

    ReplyDelete