Friday, February 28, 2014

Art at the airport (Dallas Love Field)


Last Friday, I was supposed to fly to Dallas to see Charlie, Sam, and little London. 
I was foiled by high winds in Denver. 
After being dropped at the Beaverton MAX station by a friend and riding the light rail for an hour to the airport, I was told that they could not get me to Dallas that day. 
Bah, humbug.
So I sat around at the airport for a couple of hours, using their free, crappy wi-fi, rode MAX back to Beaverton, caught a bus that was just leaving to Tigard, and met Bethany at the transit station.
Just how I wanted to spend my Friday.

Jeff and I arose at 4 a.m. the next morning and I was on my way. 

I flew on Southwest, which is my second-favourite airline. 
Jet Blue might lose it's first place if it doesn't add some more destinations.

We flew into Dallas Love Field Airport. Southwest has a field day making puns on the name. I tried to do the crossword puzzle in Spirit magazine onboard, and could not figure out the catch. Turns out that many of the clues were answered with the word "love", only backwards. 

Here are some interesting facts about Love Field.

It is owned by Southwest and, so far, Southwest is the only airline flying in and out. It is also their corporate headquarters.
Love Field was originally an Army airfield, built in 1917 to train pilots for World War I.
It is named after First Lieutenant Moss L. Love, who died in a plane crash in 1913. He was the tenth fatality in Army aviation.
The airport was bought by the city of Dallas in 1927 for civilian use.
JFK flew into Love Field on his fateful last trip.

There has been a lot of rivalry between Dallas/Fort Worth and Love Field, but Love Field takes the prize, in my opinion. It is a lovely little airport with some fantastic art.
The first one I saw was this, suspended from the roof.


This mural caught my eye as I passed the security area. I covers one large wall and is a tile mosaic. These photos are extreme close-ups.


A door leading outside takes one to this sculpture, which made me feel sad.
The bronze depiction of a pilot's helmet, gloves, coat and goggles, placed on a chair with the monogram MLL (for Moss L. Love) is titled "Back in a Moment". The chair sits under the artist's trademark crepe myrtle trees.


I had a little time to wander on my return trip, and I found a room that told the story of all of the art works at the airport, including smaller versions of the actual art.

These are taken from a small section of the hanging sculpture.


A painting of the tile mosaic.
I love it.


I enjoy art wherever I find it.
Unless it like the piece of orange fabric on a that I saw at the local Cultural Center today, with a price tag of $35,000.
Apparently, it was serious.
I don't know. See what you think. Makoto Fujimura.
His most expensive piece was $150,000.
I don't understand.

2 comments:

  1. I love this art! That tile painting is amazing and that sculpture made me sad too. I guess it's good art when it makes you feel. I'm not to sure about Makoto Fujimura's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I loathe air travel so all I will say is, I'm glad you like it. I am sad for the family of Moss L. Love. I don't like it when my son goes up in planes. The end.

    ReplyDelete