Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The bitter and the sweet

Life has been erratic. 
Let's just say that between the snowstorm, the bathroom renovation, both of us coming down with the norovirus, and me breaking out in hives that may or may not be a residual after-effect of the virus, last night I was hankering after something sweet and delicious and not too taxing to prepare.
Luckily, I had spent some time earlier in the day cooking up a couple of dozen uncooked Tortilla Land tortillas, and I had a can of caramel apple pie filling in the pantry and a carton of Philly extra-protein honey-flavoured cream cheese in the fridge.
Ten minutes later, I was popping these babies into the oven.


Drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and it's a pretty good approximation of Applebee's long-defunct apple chimi-cheesecakes, one of the few restaurant desserts of which I bemoan the loss.


Here are a couple of links to slightly different versions of the tasty dessert. This was the one I used, although I didn't add sugar to the cream cheese, which was already slightly sweet. I used half the butter and didn't frost them and they were plenty rich.
This one looks good too, being fried and put together rather differently.

And now I am wishing we hadn't eaten the last of them tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Very creative..

    I have never tried extra protein honey flavored cream cheese.

    Sounds interesting. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you can always make more. Something I will NOT be doing lest I be laid low from sugar high.

    ReplyDelete